Is my tortoise active enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirby2591

5 Year Member
I am posting on behalf of my boyfriend who has been previously posting about our new greek tortoise Juno. We have had her for a few weeks now and can't help but notice that all she really does is sleep, eat, sit under her heat lamp, and then repeat. She sleeps probably a good 20 hours of the day (at least), and she never just casually walks around her enclosure and seems to be, for lack of a better word, lazy. I am aware that it takes tortoises awhile to get adjusted their new homes, but within a few days of us bringing her home she was eating out of our hands and expressing non fearful behavior. So with that being said, we are wondering if she should be more active or if this behavior is normal. Is there anything we can do to help her be more physically engaged in her enclosure? The only way I have been able to get her to move around and get exercise is if we let her roam aimlessly around our home. But this is obviously not a full time solution given we have cats and have to observe like a hawk. Please post with some advice or reassurance! :) I have also posted some pics of her and her brother (one of our cats) Echo.

Attachments

• image-920747589.png
    image-920747589.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
  • image-377557963.png
    image-377557963.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 52

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Now, please bear in mind that this is MY opinion. I believe that living in a small habitat, whether it be a tort table or an aquarium, is quite boring for an animal that is hard-wired to roam over quite a distance looking for food. In the wild a tortoise comes out of his hiding place, warms up in the sun, then starts walking...taking a bite here, taking a bite there, and covering quite a distance before going back into the hiding place until evening. So, when all he has to do is come out, warm up then eat a great big pile of food that the food god has miraculously placed there for him, then his work is done and he goes back to sleep.

In my opinion, tortoises belong outside. When weather doesn't permit that, then we (and the tortoises) have to suffer the consequences of having a tortoise that doesn't do anything but sleep and eat.

kirby2591

5 Year Member
So, in a nut shell, you're saying this is normal for a pet tortoise...?

Also, ps- we live in an apartment in Chicago..so Juno will not be living outside. Lol not an option.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
What a goodlooking little tortoise you have!

I agree with emysemys that ideally a tortoise will have time to roam outside, but I also recognize that this is not always an option.

Our tortoises have been quite lazy for the past couple of (winter) months, and are just now perking up. I have had them for several years, and STILL catch myself wondering around January if everything is OK, cuz they are so 'boring' - then the light outside (shining in through the window) gets brighter, and the air gets warmer. Even an indoor tortoise seems to be able to tell the season change, in spite of artificial UVB and basking lights.

That said, there MIGHT be other causes - too cold temperatures (Greeks like to have temps at or above 70 on the cold side, 95-100 right under the basking lamp, and about 80 on the warm side of their enclosure. How are your temps?
Depending on whether your tortoise was wild-caught or captive bred, it might have parasites (worms) that are causing lethargy. This would be easy to determine, by having a vet examine a fecal sample. Call several vets in your area until you find one that is willing to run a fecal sample without requiring an office visit. Living in Chicago, I bet there are several reptile vets... there is a list somewhere here on this forum. Also, ask about pricing... my reptile vet (whom I really like and respect) costs $63 for a fecal test to be run, but one of the dog-and-cat vets here in town only charges $23. The test for worms is the same for all species, so I have the cheap guys run the fecal samples for me. Then if it turns out your tortoise has worms, you can always bring the results to a reptile vet so they can help you treat. (The treatment would be with 2 doses of fenbendazole, 10 days apart, but you want to get a vet's help in proper dosage).

Another cause for lethargy could be dehydration. For the first weeks after I get (or rescue) a new tortoise, I soak them every day. I use a kitty litter pan or some other similarly sized container, so the tortoises can't climb out. I fill it with about 1.5 inches of warm water, enough to go up to the 'seam' between the tortoises top and bottom shell. Then I leave them in there for at least 15 minutes. If it is chilly out, I place the tub into the tort table so about half of it is under the basking light. I haven't read your previous posts, so I don't know if your tortoise is getting soaks. This might help.

kirby2591 said:
So, in a nut shell, you're saying this is normal for a pet tortoise...?

Also, ps- we live in an apartment in Chicago..so Juno will not be living outside. Lol not an option.

kirby2591

5 Year Member
Thank you for the insight! Juno gets her soaking bath everyday for about 20 minutes, but besides that, I am not sure how much she is drinking- so dehydration may be am issue. Humidity is about 65% in her enclosure, and the coolest side of her home is 75 degrees, while the basking side is around 85 degrees. So, if what we have researched correctly, all the levels are about right, and we are doing what we are suppose to to keep her living environment most habitable. Crossing my fingers she doesn't have that parasite! I am assuming she is fine and doesn't, but if her "laziness" increases we will definitely look into it.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Yeah, your numbers look fine, as long as it is around 95-100 right under the basking light (hot spot). The humidity actually doesn't have to be quite that high for an adult Greek.

Just keep an eye on him, and I bet you'll see an increase in activity as the weather turns nicer outside. During the summer, even if only for half an hour in the park or on the balcony, bringing your tortoise outside in a shallow bin (e.g. the soaking dish!) to get some 'real' sun will be really good. Just make sure to stay there with him, to make sure he doesn't get stolen, eaten, or overheat...

kirby2591 said:
Thank you for the insight! Juno gets her soaking bath everyday for about 20 minutes, but besides that, I am not sure how much she is drinking- so dehydration may be am issue. Humidity is about 65% in her enclosure, and the coolest side of her home is 75 degrees, while the basking side is around 85 degrees. So, if what we have researched correctly, all the levels are about right, and we are doing what we are suppose to to keep her living environment most habitable. Crossing my fingers she doesn't have that parasite! I am assuming she is fine and doesn't, but if her "laziness" increases we will definitely look into it.

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
That's a very pretty tortoise.If all your numbers are good in the habitat A stool sample to check for parasites is a must.I would have that done at least once a year even when things are good.A check up at the vet would help alot and ease your mind.Good luck with your awesome looking tortoise..

kirby2591 said:
I am posting on behalf of my boyfriend who has been previously posting about our new greek tortoise Juno. We have had her for a few weeks now and can't help but notice that all she really does is sleep, eat, sit under her heat lamp, and then repeat. She sleeps probably a good 20 hours of the day (at least), and she never just casually walks around her enclosure and seems to be, for lack of a better word, lazy. I am aware that it takes tortoises awhile to get adjusted their new homes, but within a few days of us bringing her home she was eating out of our hands and expressing non fearful behavior. So with that being said, we are wondering if she should be more active or if this behavior is normal. Is there anything we can do to help her be more physically engaged in her enclosure? The only way I have been able to get her to move around and get exercise is if we let her roam aimlessly around our home. But this is obviously not a full time solution given we have cats and have to observe like a hawk. Please post with some advice or reassurance! :) I have also posted some pics of her and her brother (one of our cats) Echo.

You could try and feed every other day it might increase his activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.