Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I’m worried my little guy is starting to pyramid. Experts please chime in
Hello and welcome.

To see and assess pyramiding, we need profile pictures taken from the side showing the top of the carapace in silhouette. A top down view on a 2D computer screen doesn't show it well. There does appear to be some pyramiding, but different pics will show it better.

Here is the correct care info. There is a heating and lighting breakdown and a sulcata care sheet near the bottom. Questions are welcome:

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Side on pic would be helpful but when I expand your pics I can see a ridge of the black new growth and the pa!e scute. Regardless pyramid can not be reversed and effects the spine and welfare. I recommend you read the link and check settings and adjust to get future smooth shell. More soaks, humidity, calcium , diet, heat and light all contribute and are worth working hard to get accurate.

hopechavez

San Diego
Hello and welcome.

To see and assess pyramiding, we need profile pictures taken from the side showing the top of the carapace in silhouette. A top down view on a 2D computer screen doesn't show it well. There does appear to be some pyramiding, but different pics will show it better.

Here is the correct care info. There is a heating and lighting breakdown and a sulcata care sheet near the bottom. Questions are welcome:

Attachments

• IMG_1225.jpeg
    IMG_1225.jpeg
    1,011.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1224.jpeg
    IMG_1224.jpeg
    797.5 KB · Views: 4

hopechavez

San Diego
Side on pic would be helpful but when I expand your pics I can see a ridge of the black new growth and the pa!e scute. Regardless pyramid can not be reversed and effects the spine and welfare. I recommend you read the link and check settings and adjust to get future smooth shell. More soaks, humidity, calcium , diet, heat and light all contribute and are worth working hard to get accurate.

Attachments

• IMG_1225.jpeg
    IMG_1225.jpeg
    1,011.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1224.jpeg
    IMG_1224.jpeg
    797.5 KB · Views: 3

zovick

10 Year Member!
Yes, it is getting the beginnings of pyramiding. Look for the thread "Best Way to Raise a Sulcata Tortoise" and follow the recommendations. That will help you stop the pyramiding.

I would post a link, but I got a server error when looking for it.

hopechavez

San Diego
Hello and welcome.

Hi Tom, I do have another question. At which rate should he gain weight? When I first got him exactly 3 months ago he weighed 50g, and he currently weighs 64g (+14 g in 3 mos). Is this an adequate growth rate? Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom, I do have another question. At which rate should he gain weight? When I first got him exactly 3 months ago he weighed 50g, and he currently weighs 64g (+14 g in 3 mos). Is this an adequate growth rate? Thanks!
That is a very slow growth rate, but typical for a dry started baby. Most breeders do not start hatchings correctly, and the sellers don't house them any better.

Mine hatch at around 30-35 grams. Within 3 months they are usually around 100 grams. At 6 months they are typically around 300 grams. Around 1000 grams at 12 months old. I don't power feed or load up on the protein, so my growth rates are not fast. Many people grow them much faster than I do. I try to grow them "healthy". I really don't care about the rate of growth, but the above is typical for babies that are started correctly and fed lots of weeds, grasses, and leaves.

You've had yours for three months, but do you know how old it was when you got it? Did it still have an egg tooth?

Read the threads that me and Alex left for you for more info.

hopechavez

San Diego
That is a very slow growth rate, but typical for a dry started baby. Most breeders do not start hatchings correctly, and the sellers don't house them any better.

Mine hatch at around 30-35 grams. Within 3 months they are usually around 100 grams. At 6 months they are typically around 300 grams. Around 1000 grams at 12 months old. I don't power feed or load up on the protein, so my growth rates are not fast. Many people grow them much faster than I do. I try to grow them "healthy". I really don't care about the rate of growth, but the above is typical for babies that are started correctly and fed lots of weeds, grasses, and leaves.

You've had yours for three months, but do you know how old it was when you got it? Did it still have an egg tooth?

Read the threads that me and Alex left for you for more info.
They said he was between 2-4 mos old. But based on other photos I’ve seen I figured he was on the younger side of the range. I don’t think he had an egg tooth. His beak looks the same now as it did when I got him. I’ll attach a photo from the day I got him

Attachments

• IMG_1239.png
    IMG_1239.png
    849.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1240.png
    IMG_1240.png
    744.4 KB · Views: 5

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They said he was between 2-4 mos old. But based on other photos I’ve seen I figured he was on the younger side of the range. I don’t think he had an egg tooth. His beak looks the same now as it did when I got him. I’ll attach a photo from the day I got him
64 grams at 5-7 months old is small, but the good news is that once they get past 50 grams, and keep growing, you are past the point where they stall and die. With good heat and humidity, hydration, and a decent diet, the growth rate should improve over time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He looks pyramid from when you got him. Get him set up properly ASAP or he will just get worse. Once he is properly cared for in the correct closed chamber with high humidity, he should start to grow smoother and hopefully will put on some size. Feed a mazuri soaked pellet once or twice a week, it usually helps to put weight and size on.