Is My Tort Eating Enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

alben909

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yuciapa,CA
Hello I just want to make sure my Sulcata is eating enough. I have a pen set up in the back yard for my 2 sulcatas. They are both the same age but one grows really fast. The big one normally climbs on a hill in is pen and eats some of the vegitation almost every day. This includes weeds, burmuda grass, leaves, etc. Should I continue to feed him romaine lettace or stop feeding her.:tort:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The first thing that pops out to me is you say there is a significant size difference between the two? How big of a difference?

Back to your question....if your torts are grazing heavily and after grazing awhile stop themselves and clearly walk away from the "plate" so to speak then you can offer less of your food offerings and just keep an eye on their continued grazing consumption....

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
The large one is 4 inches in length and 3 inches in width.

A month ago the big one was 6 inches in length and 4 inches innwidth bigger.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not sure I'm clear on exactly the question here. You mentioned the big one climbing the hill and grazing, but are you wanting to know whether or not to feed her or the little one?

I did a thread on why pairs are a bad idea. You can find it in the links in my signature below if it interests you. They would both be better off if you separated them, but especially the littler one.

My tortoises have access to graze all day, but I still offer them other stuff too.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I too agree that you should not only separate them as this could be the reason one is so much smaller, bullying, not getting as much food, you should also still feed them some greens and Mazuri. Not just romaine though, you should be feeding a mixture of dark greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.