Is my sully attracting lizzards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Modesto (Northern) California
Ok, I live in a regular neighborhood. However, there's a river about two blocks behind me. When we walk the trails I see lizards all the time but lately I've been seeing one, if not two in my backyard everyday when thor's outside. They don't seem to bother him but it's very unusual to see them daily. Not a big deal, just curious.

Oops. I said lizZards. Sorry.

Phantom9

5 Year Member
Elverta, CA (Just outside of Sacramento)
My sulcata has an outside pen for the daytime and there is never a day that I don't see a small blue bellied lizard living in the blocks around it. I am fine with it though since they are great at eating bugs that would otherwise eat my graze mix

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
They're not attracting them per say. There is no logical reason a small lizard would want to stick around a large tortoise. But perhaps the immediate environment is suitable enough to stick around.

I have had the same colony of fence lizards hanging around my back porch since before I put my tortoises outside.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Interesting question! I've often wondered about this. I once found a garter snake next to my box turtle. A coincidence? A fluke? Or intentional? I don't know.

In this case, I wouldn't think that the lizards are hanging around your tortoise per se. However, what if your tortoise's food and our dropping attract insects that the lizards like to eat? That might explain why the presence of your sulcata seems to attract lizards.

Just a thought. :)

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Modesto (Northern) California
Hmmmm, very interesting. If so, must be the droppings because he's just in the yard. No special pen and I don't put food out here for him. Just grazing on the natural stuff. But I've never thought of droppings.. Sounds logical enough. Could also be the extended summer we've been having. Who knows? But interesting to say the least.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Is it per se or per say?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I too have western fence swifts all over the place. The environments we create to be inviting for our tortoises are also inviting for other animals. I LOVE having the lizards around for their insectivorous tendencies.

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Casselberry
Since iv built zeus's habitat iv noticed my back yard is lizard capital. They are everywhere always in on and around him. They dont seem to bother each other. I like to think they are friends and keep each other company. Pluse the lizards eat all the bugs which is nice....but i also have big toads and frogs that come and visit all the time too.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Funny you have mentioned that , tom. I have never seen a frog in Arizona. Well just the other day there was one swimming in my pool. Funny how compatible most reptiles are..

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
mainey34 said:
Funny you have mentioned that , tom. I have never seen a frog in Arizona. Well just the other day there was one swimming in my pool. Funny how compatible most reptiles are..

Frogs are amphibians, not reptiles. Both are termed "herptiles," though.

Yeah, maybe these different species just coexist well because they have similar requirements. :)

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Frogs loved my boxie pens. I miss my frogs and my TONS of lizards:(
I think the pens atract other critters. I found a few snakes in the pens to :(

Status
Not open for further replies.