Is my Sulcata Tortoise Pyramiding and is this the right size Sulcata to be 1 year old

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew71888

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Colony Tx
chadk said:
Keep the substrate moist too. Temps + moist substrate will give you decent humidity. He should have a warm side and a cool side. Do you have him in a glass tank?

No a wooden 2 story pen i build.

I am building one that is one storry so he can have a cool side and a warm side.
Why should he have a glass tank? I thought that stresses them out?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, you misunderstand. No glass tank. He was just trying to figure out how your tortoise is set up.

CHE = Ceramic Heat Emitter. Its a ceramic heater that looks like a flat light bulb. You can buy them in a pet store. They provide heat without light.

Black or red bulb are just regular light bulbs with dark glass instead of clear glass. They provide heat for night time without visible light.

Whichever kind you use, makes no difference. Heat without light for night time and heat with light for day time.

chadk

10 Year Member!
I was wondering about the glass tank because my little sullie was raised by the previous owner in a glass tank on dry wood chips and a very hot lamp. No humidity at all. No good temp gradients. no hides. And at the rate yours is heading, he'll look as bad as mine.

Does he feel heavy (water logged) or light weight (almost hollow) in your hand? Does the shell feel hard and thick or almost soft\pliable?

andrew71888

5 Year Member
The Colony Tx
emysemys said:
No, you misunderstand. No glass tank. He was just trying to figure out how your tortoise is set up.

CHE = Ceramic Heat Emitter. Its a ceramic heater that looks like a flat light bulb. You can buy them in a pet store. They provide heat without light.

Black or red bulb are just regular light bulbs with dark glass instead of clear glass. They provide heat for night time without visible light.

Whichever kind you use, makes no difference. Heat without light for night time and heat with light for day time.

O ok thx for explaining i just set up a regular light and he is already enjoying it he is already starting to nibbl eon his food!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
That's great news! Keep us posted on the little guy's progress!

andrew71888

5 Year Member
The Colony Tx
He feels heavy Btw and his shell feels hard. Not light or soft at all really.

And yes i will be pleased to keep yall updated.

samstar

5 Year Member
you might also want to add Mazuri tortoise food in it's diet to make sure it's getting all the nutrients.

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
All this advice is VERY GOOD ADVICE. I have a 1yr old sully and he's 4 1/2 inches long. Much bigger than yours. My 'hot' or 'basking' area is 107 degrees and my baby loves it now and eats VERY good. So bump that heat up any way you can, lowering the bulbs helps. You've been given great advice by very experienced tortoise keepers. Use that advice. Pour water on the subtrate and mix it up to get it moist and then keep it moist. Good luck! Everything will be fine. Your baby tort has a good parent, you!

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
Go to Lowes and get a Sylvania incandescent grow bulb. It should come in 50-120watt options, the most expensive being about $8. That will give you the heat you need and a spectrum that simulates daylight for the tortoise. These are cheaper than pet store basking lights. You can also buy infared heat bulbs there that are 250 watts. These are red and emit heat for night use. They require a ceramic dome fixture also available there. Be careful with the distance form the tort you use any heat bulb and check the temps with a tempgun or reliable thermometer. You can stop misting and use some sphagnum moss or moistened coir (bedabeast available at petco) in a hide that you keep moist. get some Calcium and feed that guy a better diet. He is young enough to improve and be minimally impacted by the shortcomings in his care at this point, but he is also most sensitive to them now as well...the longer improper diet, temps, and humidity continue, the more the chances for life-long diformities or death increase. I have tons of the ceramic lamp sockets around...I'll be happy to send you one for the cost of shipping, just pvt me. If you need help getting the proper bulbs, I would be glad to help you, but I can't do that for free, you would have to pay for the, but I wouldn't charge you anything more than they cost me. You seem like a young, bright guy, who is getting started in the reptile hobby. You may or may not have bitten off more than you can chew with a tortoise that needs so much space and a controlled environment. Not the best choice at an age where you have no way to get a regular income. We will all try to help, but you may need to do what's best for those torts and give them to a more capable person, at least until your situation improves. Good Luck.

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
I remember what it was like to have this insatiable interest in living things and no money. At that age and even a few years older, impulse rules over reality and while a responsible adult would evaluate a situation first, someone that young is coaught up in the moment and probably worked everything out in his head to find it really wasn't so easy. It's ok, he obviously has done some research and has made a fair effort at coorect housing, diet, and conditions, so I see every reason to support and educate him. He might be an excellent hobbiest/breeder someday....I think lots of us start out this way, maybe not with sulcatas, but we all have that poor anole from the carnival or goldfish in a bowl, before we know better.

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
I remember that goldfish. I got for a dime at the fair. Toss the dime and if it lands in a goldfish bowl it's yours! I was so happy (a kid then) but poor goldie died...Yes older and wiser. Hopefully!

Status
Not open for further replies.