Is my baby tortoise an average size?

LinusRocky

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool
My russian tortoise is about 2 years old and i think is a female due to a short, straight tail. She is 3.3 inches going by the measurment of http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm. I keep her in a 3ft by 1.5ft enclosure, keep a varied diet of spring green, rocket, cress, iceberg lettuce, spinach and more. I have the heat lamp at 90 degrees F and the cool end at about 60-80ish. I use calcium supplements on the food and i leave the heat lamp on for about 10-hours per day. I have had her about a year and she has always been active and happy. We also use a sand/dirt substrate that is changed every month-ish. Just checking if everything is going ok with her, thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
My russian tortoise is about 2 years old and i think is a female due to a short, straight tail. She is 3.3 inches going by the measurment of http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm. I keep her in a 3ft by 1.5ft enclosure, keep a varied diet of spring green, rocket, cress, iceberg lettuce, spinach and more. I have the heat lamp at 90 degrees F and the cool end at about 60-80ish. I use calcium supplements on the food and i leave the heat lamp on for about 10-hours per day. I have had her about a year and she has always been active and happy. We also use a sand/dirt substrate that is changed every month-ish. Just checking if everything is going ok with her, thanks

There are many things I would do differently.
1. You need a larger enclosure.
2. Grocery store greens lack fiber and many have the wrong Ca : Ph ratio, or are just low in calcium in general. Your tortoise should be eating mostly broadleaf weeds and leaves of the right type. If you must use grocery store foods, you can amend them by mixing in some soaked ZooMed Grassland pellets or I believe you have one called Komodo or Nutrazu over there. Easy on the spinach. Too much will interfere with calcium absorption. Skip the iceberg. Its less than useless, its taking up space from what your tortoise should be eating. Favor endive, escarole, but also use carrot tops, cilantro, collard, mustard and turnip greens, celery tops, and get some spineless opuntia if you can find it.
3. Basking area right under the lamp should be closer to 100 or 37C. Your other temps are fine.
4. Calcium supplements should only be used two or three times a week max. Too much calcium interferes with the absorption of other important minerals and trace elements.
5. Your timer should be on for a minimum of 12 hours a day and up to 14 if you are trying to prevent hibernation in the fall.
6. Sand should never be used. Many old outdated websites and care sheets still recommend it, but it is an impaction risk and possible skin and eye irritant. There are other better, safer things like coco coir or orchid bark. I'm not opposed to "dirt" from outside, but I don't like store bought "soil" because you can't know what is in it. Could be something toxic or have toxic yard chemical mixed in to it.
7. You tortoise is a little on the small side for "her" age, but not unusually so. It is likely due to the diet, cool temps and short days. Nothing I'd be concerned about.

Please read these for current care info and tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Last edited:

Michael Naz

About your enclosure, just remember no enclosure is too big. She has to have sunlight and room to exercise. Make sure she has some protein, too. Does she have a mate?

My female boxie is not fertilized but has been laying eggs lately. You might want to check for those when she's about 8 in. Speaking of size, make sure your enclosure's walls are high. They can climb pretty high, surprisingly. Watch out for that.

Can we see a picture of her?