Is Meldrew sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melloola

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Hi!

I've had my little fella for 3 weeks now and I'm a little worried about him. He's a one year old Dwarf Hermanns tortoise. Since he arrived he has had runny poo. I'm feeding him the usual stuff. I was feeding him lettuce (not iceberg), tomato, cucumber, spring greens etc but I read that some of the things I have been giving him like broccoli can cause this problem so I've been very careful not to give him too much cabbage or broccoli and mainly stuck to lettuce, aubergene and carrot for the last few days. It doesn't seem to have helped.

I read that it was possibly his diet or he could need worming and that I should give him a small amount of arrowroot or alfalfa and to worm him just incase. I've been trying to find out what to use to worm him and how much arrowroot or alfalfa to give him but I'm struggling to find any information.

He seems happy enough, he's eating well and active. Please could someone advise me as to what to do?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi....after reading the items you feed your little one...I would change it..no broccoli, no tomatos and carrot only as a treat. They also should not have fruit other than once in awhile as a treat..their digestive systems are not set up for fruits...also..broccoli interferes with calcium absorption... I would give him dark leafy greens (weeds from the yard are best..no pesticides or herbicides) and hibiscus flowers and leaves..roses and rose leaves..dandelion greens and flowers...grape plant leaves....you can even plant some seeds and clip the growth for him...or put him onto the flat of sprouting seeds....I know in the cool months it is necessary for their diet to be from the grocery store more so than normal....so dark greens and the spring mix minus the spinach leaves are a fair substitute for the cools weather...but in my opinion outdoor weeds and wildflowers safe for tortoise are always much better ....others will give you their opinions as well....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
could be diet or parasites. I would cut out the fruits (tomatoes) and vegetables (cucumbers) and use more greens, leaves and flowers of various plants.

Melloola

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Thanks for the advice! If it is a parasite problem is there anything I can do to help him before he get's to see a vet on Monday?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would try to offer him some pumpkin, fresh slices if you can...if not then you can offer pumpkin from the can (not the sweetened ones)...but slices are much much better, raw.

If you are going to vet then once they confirm yes/no to parasites then the vet will give you direction/medication to use to do the de-worming, so to speak :D

Status
Not open for further replies.