Is Mazuri a staple food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeganAlyse

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta, GA
Do you feed it exclusively, like dog food, with an occasional treat of fresh fruit or something else? Or is it to be fed as a treat?

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
MeganAlyse said:
Do you feed it exclusively, like dog food, with an occasional treat of fresh fruit or something else? Or is it to be fed as a treat?

I feed mazuri everyday to my yearling sulcata tort. he also gets a huge plate of greens ususally about 6 different types chopped into a salad. Some of the members prefer feeding once or twice a week. I choose to feed everyday because my little guy was gaining weight extreamly slow and once the mazuri was added he has been gaining weight like a pig! its really up to you and how your torts adapt to it. just remember its tort crack and they get addicted!

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I feed mazuri about 3 times a week along with greens and cactus and weeds and flowers. The other days he gets just a mix of the other stuff

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I feed it every day, but its always mixed with cactus or some dark greens. They also get to graze all they want...

MeganAlyse

5 Year Member
Atlanta, GA
Mine is a redfoot tortoise (not a desert tortoise), and the packaging for Mazuri mentions only desert and dry tortoises. Does that mean I should feed it infrequently or in a different manner?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
There should be no such thing as a " Staple" diet. For a healthy tort rather in the wild or in captivity ....mixed diet is always best. That dosnt mean you cant feed it on a *regular* basis but mix it along with other items.

HAppy Tort~N

JD~:)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
This is going to depend on who you ask, and your philosophy about animal diets.

One school of thought: Mazuri is a scientifically balanced meal built for the Giant Tortoises but useful for all species. It combines the known nutritional needs in a convenient, cost-effective (in bulk), readily and consistently eaten form. For people who feel that good quality 'kibble' or 'chows' are an appropriate diet, this is probably all you need. Lets call this the "100% Chow" side.)

A variation on that philosophy feels that even though good chows are good, there is a benefit in 'real' food. Perhaps it provides missing micro-nutrients, perhaps it adds interest and variety to the meal for the animal's piece of mind and enrichment, but these people use mostly Mazuri or other chows, and a little 'real food'. This would be the "75/25%" view.

Another school of thought is that scientifically-balanced meals are fine, but our understanding is imperfect. These folk tend to balance Mazuri about half-and-half with 'real food' with the idea being that anything missing in one half will be in the other half. This is my philosophy, and there are many good studies to support it (although, there are also good studies for most of the other positions here as well. This would be the "50/50%" opinion.

Some feel that Mazuri or other chows offer benefits, but that real food is more useful or natural, and use the Mazuri basically as a supplement. This would be the "25/75%" group.

Finally, some people either dislike or distrust chows, possibly because of the ingredients, or they feel they can offer a better diet by hand, or they can allow their tortoise to graze freely in a well-planted habitat. These are the "0%'ers"

Note that these ideas can apply equally well to other pets- fish, birds, small mammals, cats and dogs, even horses and zoo animals.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great explanation Mark. I'm in the 25/75% camp.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Love that explanation Mark!
I am currently in the 0% camp but I would consider using Mazuri as a supplement.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I feed Cooper mazuri, red tort sticks, mixed greens choped up so he can pig out faster with a little romain just cause he likes it. That's everyday. Plus he gets to graze in the yard. And once a week he geta a few small bits of watermelon which he goes bonkers over!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
We do not feed Mazuri to our hatchlings. We do feed Mazuri to our breeders during egg laying season in moderation.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Aldabraman- I know others who use Mazuri quite a bit for hatchlings. May I ask your philosophy on this aspect? I really don't have a strong opinion one way or the other, just interested in what people think.

jdub

5 Year Member
i believe mazuri diet could be a good source of nutrients with a good mixture of greens. i usually feed my torts with greens (romaine lettuce) in the morning and some mazuri diet around noon. and the rest of the day...they're just doing their cow business.....grazing on my lawn...hahaha. they seem to be very healthy and this is their diet for 2 years now.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Madkins007 said:
Aldabraman- I know others who use Mazuri quite a bit for hatchlings. May I ask your philosophy on this aspect? I really don't have a strong opinion one way or the other, just interested in what people think.

I am curious too Aldabraman! (Sorry I always forget your first name :()

If it ain't broke, don't fix it?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I use it as a 100% staple diet........

The only Torts that get Greens are those being switched over......Hatchlings, Juvies, Adults, whatever.........It gets me results that Greens could never replicate......Been there, done it, and I will never look back.......

Sulcatifornia

5 Year Member
San Diego, California
Madkins007 said:
This is going to depend on who you ask, and your philosophy about animal diets.

One school of thought: Mazuri is a scientifically balanced meal built for the Giant Tortoises but useful for all species. It combines the known nutritional needs in a convenient, cost-effective (in bulk), readily and consistently eaten form. For people who feel that good quality 'kibble' or 'chows' are an appropriate diet, this is probably all you need. Lets call this the "100% Chow" side.)

A variation on that philosophy feels that even though good chows are good, there is a benefit in 'real' food. Perhaps it provides missing micro-nutrients, perhaps it adds interest and variety to the meal for the animal's piece of mind and enrichment, but these people use mostly Mazuri or other chows, and a little 'real food'. This would be the "75/25%" view.

Another school of thought is that scientifically-balanced meals are fine, but our understanding is imperfect. These folk tend to balance Mazuri about half-and-half with 'real food' with the idea being that anything missing in one half will be in the other half. This is my philosophy, and there are many good studies to support it (although, there are also good studies for most of the other positions here as well. This would be the "50/50%" opinion.

Some feel that Mazuri or other chows offer benefits, but that real food is more useful or natural, and use the Mazuri basically as a supplement. This would be the "25/75%" group.

Finally, some people either dislike or distrust chows, possibly because of the ingredients, or they feel they can offer a better diet by hand, or they can allow their tortoise to graze freely in a well-planted habitat. These are the "0%'ers"

Note that these ideas can apply equally well to other pets- fish, birds, small mammals, cats and dogs, even horses and zoo animals.

Great post! I'm in the 0%. Fresh and natural all the way!

EricIvins said:
I use it as a 100% staple diet........

The only Torts that get Greens are those being switched over......Hatchlings, Juvies, Adults, whatever.........It gets me results that Greens could never replicate......Been there, done it, and I will never look back.......

How long have you been doing this? What kind of "results" have you seen? Could you show pics of your torts? I'm very curious :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I guess I'm in the 33/66% group, except I no longer use Mazuri, as my Hermann's greatly prefer the Marion Red Sticks, which I mix w/ dried weeds or chopped cactus, depending on the day, 2-3X a week.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Status
Not open for further replies.