Is it okay to use terrarium liner instead of substrate for Hermann tortoise

Washingtonpost77

5 Year Member
Hello. I am currently using cypress mulch for my hermann tortoise but looking for a cleaner substrate and wanted to know if terrarium liner good to use.

Attachments

• IMG_20160227_185356.jpg
    IMG_20160227_185356.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20160227_185414.jpg
    IMG_20160227_185414.jpg
    708.2 KB · Views: 26

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hello. I am currently using cypress mulch for my hermann tortoise but looking for a cleaner substrate and wanted to know if terrarium liner good to use.
One thing I've learnt about torts is,. They like it messy. It's unnatural for them to be clean.

DPtortiose

Nowadays there are some pretty big misconceptions about 'clean' and 'hygienic'. Those anti-bacterial soaps advertisements and a whole range of cleaning products have led most people to believe that a 'clean' surface is without any loose particles and no bacteria is also hygienic. This however is absolutely false. A deep substrate loaded with bacteria is far more 'hygienic' then a mat like that.

That's because most bacteria are actually pretty essential for your health. Only a small percentage of bacteria are pathogen (harmful), my old microbiology teacher would claim about 1% is harmful to animals, a remaining 95% is essential to the process that make life possible on earth as we know it. Bacteria tell our body which micro-organisms (like parasites) to attack, they dispose of waste products or produce nutrients we can't. Perhaps a bit more relevant to the care of your animals, they also destroy other bacteria and compete with harmful bacteria for resources.

So imagine your animal poops, that poop contains dozens of different micro-organisms (parasites, bacteria etc.). As it should in a healthy animal. In a 'clean' environment these micro-organisms will have every opportunity to grow and reproduce, they have no 'predators' and no competition for resources. However in an environment where other micro-organisms are already established is a much more ‘hostile’ environment. Meaning potential dangerous organisms in the poop have a smaller chance to reinfect the animal in large numbers and cause trouble. It’s all about letting good bacteria combat the bad ones.

Those mats also have a tendency to soak up poop, **** and parasites. They hold humidity poorly, won't allow the animal to dig and plastic underneath a heat lamp is always a bad idea. Honestly, this a product that should never be used for any species.