Is it okay to have some out of enclosure time with my Hermann's?

Hermes357

Location (City and/or State)
Fairfield, CT
Hi! So I am new to this forum and tortoise ownership. I have an adorable Hermann's tortoise who is very happy and healthy. Now that he has had a couple of weeks to settle in, I would love to be able to take him out and hang out with him. Is that something that would be okay?
Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not on the floor of your home but outside in a safe enclosure that you made for him. They are too easy to lose if you don't have an enclosure for them.

Hermes357

Fairfield, CT
Not on the floor of your home but outside in a safe enclosure that you made for him. They are too easy to lose if you don't have an enclosure for them.
Thanks! I completely understand the need for supervision when he is taken out, but I'm more interested in having him out right next to me while I am studying or something like that.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome. It would be nice to see some pictures of your tortoise!

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Thanks! I completely understand the need for supervision when he is taken out, but I'm more interested in having him out right next to me while I am studying or something like that.

It is fine to handle your tort in moderation. Torts are not really affectionate like mammals often can be, certainly nothing like dogs and cats. if you do have it out with you for brief periods in the house just be super careful of where and that the floor is clear etc. . . little things on the floor that you dont even notice can cause serious harm to your tort. A controlled environement is best and like Wellington said, an outdoor pupose built enclosure is ideal