Is it normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pueblo West
ok is it normal for a vet office to say they need to do an office exam when you ask if they can just do a fecal?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes, if they are trying to gain as much money from you as they can. This is a flag for me that I would likely go elsewhere....but that is just me.:D

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
The vet I called at one point would do a fecal without a visit, but if the tortoise needed to be treated he would need to come in.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Many vets will require an exam because if the fecal comes back positive, an exam needs to be performed. The veterinary client relationship must be in place in order to dispense any medication. Illegal otherwise. Some will run a fecal w/o an exam, but you'll need one if the result is positive. This is the same crap I hear all the time from reptile collectors, why can't I just get the meds without an exam? Because you can't! It's against the law. Deal with it.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If the vet has never seen the tort, they do need to examine him at least at first. Once you have a relationship with the vet office, they may be able to do fecal tests in the future w/o an exam.
But not the first time.

It would be the same with a human and a medical office (OK, not for fecal testing, but you know...:D )

Status
Not open for further replies.