1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Is it good to feed the tortoise by carrot?

Discussion in 'General Tortoise Discussion' started by qiangzhu, Dec 2, 2019 at 10:08 PM.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. qiangzhu

qiangzhu Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Utah
    I was in a vacation trip for 2 weeks and let my friends to take care of my tortoises. It looks he fed the tortoise a lot of carrots during my absence. I remember I read an article before that feeding carrots to tortoise may have some problem but don't remember the details

Thanks a lot
  2. KarenSoCal

KarenSoCal Well-Known Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I don't recall what kind of tortoise you have, which does make some difference.
    But the general rule of thumb is that torts should NOT be fed carrots. Carrots contain a lot of sugar. Tortoises in general do not have the ability to process sugars, so this messes up the balance in the gut. End result is diarrhea, a stomach ache, and a sick tort. If this happened a few days ago and you've seen no evidence of illness, maybe you dodged a bullet this time.

The only other thing I've seen about them is to make sure you cut them small. There was a post a while back that someone cut carrots into longish lengths, and a Galapagos tort choked on it and died right in front of his keeper. Heartbreaking!
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 2:17 AM
    TammyJ likes this.
  3. qiangzhu

qiangzhu Member

Utah
    Thanks

I had a Sulcata and a radiated tortoise. I soaked them just now and they both look pooping normally. When I fed them, I provided a lot of fiber so maybe it helps this time. I will continue to monitor them.
  4. Mizcreant

Mizcreant Well-Known Member Tortoise Club

Cincinnati, OH
    Carrots are generally not recommended for sulcatas because they are high in oxalic acid. Once in a while is fine. The tops of carrots are fine in small quantities.
  5. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    Carrots contain a lot of sugar, but besides that, there have been instances of tortoises choking to death because a bite of carrot got stuck in their throat. If one must feed carrots to tortoises it's best to peel off slices of carrot with a peeler instead of feeding it whole.
    TammyJ likes this.
  6. TammyJ

TammyJ Well-Known Member

Jamaica
    My redfoots enjoy a bit of carrot now and then, BUT I always grater it.
    KarenSoCal and ZEROPILOT like this.
  7. ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
    We need to point out that Redfoot are one of the few species that can process sugars.
    TammyJ and KarenSoCal like this.