Is it a hybrid?

C.H.D Reptiles

I have a box turtle that I don't know what it is! This is Shaggy he is a WC (LTC) adult that comes from a area where three-toed and eastern meet (both are native there) I've always thought he was a Blonde Phase Eastern but he might be a Eastern x Three-Toed hybrid. he has four toes, concave, red eyes. what do y'all think he is?
DSCN3444.JPG
DSCN3448.JPG
DSCN3453.JPG
DSCN3451.JPG

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
He looks mostly 3 toed, but it's possible for him to be an integrade of the two.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I'm going with Eastern but either way, I like it. He's welcome with me anytime.

C.H.D Reptiles

It's an older eastern box turtle. That fourth toe on the back foot shows up clearly in the second picture. Also, that's a pretty small tail for a male turtle.
Him next to a female (he's right females left) that female on the left had layed eggs so its proven!
DSCN3456.JPG
Him next to a male (male left shaggy right)
DSCN3460.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The male on the left's tail is much bigger than the one on the right. Sometimes with box turtles the only way you can tell is by where the cloaca is on the tail. Male cloaca is far away from the body. I wouldn't swear to it, but I'm goin' with female.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I am not a box turtle expert, but I've always thought 3 toed referred to Back feet???
It does. The photo shows 4 toes on the back feet.

Last edited:

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
It's an older eastern box turtle. That fourth toe on the back foot shows up clearly in the second picture. Also, that's a pretty small tail for a male turtle.
Does an eastern lose its black plastron with age? The plastron is the reason I did not say he was eastern.

Last edited:

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Looks like a female EBT. I had an EBT with a light plastron with some shade just like this one. The very limited coloring on the head and legs favors a female also. Good looking Boxie!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Looks like a female EBT. I had an EBT with a light plastron with some shade just like this one. The very limited coloring on the head and legs favors a female also. Good looking Boxie!
Wow, good to know! I've never seen an eastern with a light plastron! The shell pattern and 4 toes combined with light plastron was throwing me off with this one!

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Wow, good to know! I've never seen an eastern with a light plastron! The shell pattern and 4 toes combined with light plastron was throwing me off with this one!

Yeah, it doesn't mean it still couldn't be an intergrade if you know what I mean It just favors more EBT.