Is Hudson Healthy?

dmarshall1991

My baby sulcata Hudson is exactly 2 months old. He's 2 inches and 36 grams. Is this on average a good weight for a 2 month old baby or should I be concerned? I feel like 36 grams isn't enough. I'm not sure though. He always eats right as soon as I put his food in his enclosure but never cleans his plate. I guess that's just because he's tiny and I give him a pile of food bigger than he is. Lol.

Attachments

• 1412186653448.jpg
    1412186653448.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 36

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
They eat like champs :D How often do you give him that Mazuri? Too much and he can become a little food monster who only want that! :rolleyes: Also, seems ironic, but too much can cause him to grow too fast, because it's nutrient rich and healthy.
How high is your humidity? I'm noticing the substrate in the background looks little dry? His face is adorable, he's attcking that food like an animal! o_O

dmarshall1991

I give him the mazuri 3 times a week. He doesn't really touch it I have to trick him into eating it lol. He goes straight for the collards and kale. I have grass seeds sprouting right now so he will be able to graze on that soon :D humidity is really high. My humidity guage says 100% but it's one of those cheap pet store ones so it's really probably bout 85-90. The glass is fogged up like it's a steam room in there lol. Substrate is nice and damp. :) the pic does look kind of decieving.

chaseswife

5 Year Member
My 6 week old is 62 grams. BUT there seems to be a huge range for normal weight for age with sulcata tortoises. As long as he keeps gaining weight be should be fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Mine hatch between 35 and 40, so 36 is a bit small for 2 months. It might be perfectly fine though.

What would tell me more is: How was this baby started? Substrate? How often was it soaked? Brooder box or incubator after hatching?

dmarshall1991

He was started dry. Parents looked amazing. Perfectly smooth shells, super healthy. Babies were all in a tort table on sand. So I'm guessing that's what has caused his delay in growth. I also got the biggest one in the litter.