Is hibernation necessary?

FriendlyTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi guys, I've been looking to get a small tortoise for a while now, they would be house indoors (in UK) except for being out in the day in summer. I was looking into non-hibernating species as I wouldn't like the idea of hibernating my tort with the risks it poses, and I would constantly be worrying in case something bad happens. The only non-hibernating species I was interested in are red-footed torts but they do grow too big for my liking! I was thinking of Hermann's or Horsfield's

My question is: is hibernation necessary for torts to keep healthy and happy long term? or is there health risks? could it shorten the lifespan of a tort? Considering I would be housing them indoors primarily do I not need to hibernate a tort?

I would love to hear from long-term owners of hibernating torts who have never hibernated theirs to see if their tort is long lived and healthy?

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi guys, I've been looking to get a small tortoise for a while now, they would be house indoors (in UK) except for being out in the day in summer. I was looking into non-hibernating species as I wouldn't like the idea of hibernating my tort with the risks it poses, and I would constantly be worrying in case something bad happens. The only non-hibernating species I was interested in are red-footed torts but they do grow too big for my liking! I was thinking of Hermann's or Horsfield's

My question is: is hibernation necessary for torts to keep healthy and happy long term? or is there health risks? could it shorten the lifespan of a tort? Considering I would be housing them indoors primarily do I not need to hibernate a tort?

I would love to hear from long-term owners of hibernating torts who have never hibernated theirs to see if their tort is long lived and healthy?

Thanks
Its actually called brumation in reptiles.

It is not "necessary" to brumate them, but most people who have done both extensively believe it is better for them if they are a species that would brumate in the wild. If done correctly it is not risky or dangerous in any way. When you read stories of those bad things happening, it is because things were not done correctly, just like when a tortoise dies in the warmer months. Any time of year in any state, the tortoise's life is at risk if the basics are not met. Brumation time is no different. I would encourage you to reconsider your thoughts on this matter, because a little hermanni or horsfield would be a great choice for you in your climate. Here is a thread explaining more about it:

If brumation is just not your thing, that is okay. Get a species that doesn't brumate. You are correct that RFs get too big. Indian star tortoises would be a nice size, and they don't brumate, but they are too shy and delicate for my liking. The Burmese stars are a totally different species and those would be perfect. They are hardy, personable, easy to feed and house, and they stay relatively small. Males can get up to around 9 inches and large females up to about 11 inches. More on this topic:

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I have a Hermanns tortoise - he is 23 now, and has never hibernated /brumated - I live in the uk - Devon. Zola is very healthy, and lives basically in a heated conservatory - he is very friendly and endearing. He is quite small, and he is the most important member of our family !
Angie

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How old is your tort?
I have no idea. I got him as a favor for a friend who had a friend, who's teenager was no longer interested. He was probably 5-10 when she got him. I have no idea how long she had him. She never brumates him either.
My best guess is he is 20-25 years old.
He hasn't been sick a day in his life with me and does everything he is suppose to do.

FriendlyTortoise

Uk
I have a Hermanns tortoise - he is 23 now, and has never hibernated /brumated - I live in the uk - Devon. Zola is very healthy, and lives basically in a heated conservatory - he is very friendly and endearing. He is quite small, and he is the most important member of our family !
Angie
Aww how lovely. Are Hermann's normally friendly? From my research they seem like lovely little torts.

FriendlyTortoise

Uk
Its actually called brumation in reptiles.

It is not "necessary" to brumate them, but most people who have done both extensively believe it is better for them if they are a species that would brumate in the wild. If done correctly it is not risky or dangerous in any way. When you read stories of those bad things happening, it is because things were not done correctly, just like when a tortoise dies in the warmer months. Any time of year in any state, the tortoise's life is at risk if the basics are not met. Brumation time is no different. I would encourage you to reconsider your thoughts on this matter, because a little hermanni or horsfield would be a great choice for you in your climate. Here is a thread explaining more about it:

If brumation is just not your thing, that is okay. Get a species that doesn't brumate. You are correct that RFs get too big. Indian star tortoises would be a nice size, and they don't brumate, but they are too shy and delicate for my liking. The Burmese stars are a totally different species and those would be perfect. They are hardy, personable, easy to feed and house, and they stay relatively small. Males can get up to around 9 inches and large females up to about 11 inches. More on this topic:
Thank you for the information, very helpful :)

Reactions: Tom

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I live on Devon. Ave in the USA that is lol
I moved to Devon from Nottingham 25 years ago, and was surpised to find that a lot of my ancestors lived here - my surname is Thorne, and there is a village called Thorne, a Thorne farm, a Thorne Manor, etc etc - so the feeling I get when looking at the countryside that I have sort of come home to my roots is not surprising, really
Angie

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Aww how lovely. Are Hermann's normally friendly? From my research they seem like lovely little torts.
I think Hermanns are generally friendly - Zola is rather small - when we got him, his shell was split at the top, by his neck, and he wasn't entirely well - we think he was stepped on - but he has grown strong, though his shell is a bit lumpy, which we think was caused by the split. He weighs about I kilo, and is 6inches long - still small enough to be carried in one hand - and he is always curious and aware. He gets funny moods sometimes - rushing around and pushing things about - we call it his "I don't know what I want, but I want it NOW !!! ' mood - it waes off fairly qquickly, usually.
I think you would find a Hermanns a good choice - probably it would grow a bit bigger than Zola, but not a lot.
Good luck
Angie