Is he just flashing at me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky's Owner

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bucks, UK
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGHi There,
Just wondering if my little Russian boy Rocky, who I thought was about 1 year old (had him since Christmas) is just flashing at me or whether there may be something else going on?

I thought he might be too young to be doing this. About the 3rd time this week I've seen him do this.
He seems to be pooing fine at the mo

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Based on size in the photos alone, your tortoise is very likely more than 1 year old. He looks to be about a young mature adult size. How big is he, straight line carapace measurement?
It's very normal for males to extend their organ when expelling waste or when "aroused". There should be no cause for alarm unless it (his organ) remains exposed without retracting. In that situation it could be a prolapse and is cause for concern. If your tortoise is retracting his each time, it's not a prolapse, it's just normal activity.

Rocky's Owner

5 Year Member
Bucks, UK
Many thanks for your reply.
He fits perfectly onto the palm of my hand - I'd say 3 maybe 3.5 inches.
Tortoise genetalia is very frightening indeed.

It retracts in its own time. I worry that he'll do himself some harm taking the substrate in with him when it goes back in... Can this cause a problem? Any remedy?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Its sounds like it's just normal activity, even though he is a bit young (based on size given), it's not unusual. I suppose there could be a chance of something within the substrate being an issue but as long as there are no sharp protruding objects in the substrate there is probably no reason for alarm. At 3-3.5" a male Russian would normally be about 2.5-4 years old but under captive conditions they tend to grow faster in a shorter period of time.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Wow that seems very early for flashing if you are right on size. I'm curious if the SCL is actually only 3-3.5 inches. My tort is a 4.5 inch male Russian, 2 years 8 months, and we haven't seen anything yet...but I'm sure now that I said something we will! Also agree he is over 1 year if over 3 inches. If you got him at a chain pet store, he is definitely over 4 inches (wild caught), and I wouldn't be surprised with flashing at closer to 5 inches.

Rocky's Owner

5 Year Member
Bucks, UK
tortoisenerd said:
Wow that seems very early for flashing if you are right on size. I'm curious if the SCL is actually only 3-3.5 inches. My tort is a 4.5 inch male Russian, 2 years 8 months, and we haven't seen anything yet...but I'm sure now that I said something we will! Also agree he is over 1 year if over 3 inches. If you got him at a chain pet store, he is definitely over 4 inches (wild caught), and I wouldn't be surprised with flashing at closer to 5 inches.

Measured him last night and he is 3.75 inches. I got him at a pet store but it wasn't a chain and said to be captive bred. maybe my boy is just a fast learner :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
After reading the subject line, I was expecting your first sentence in your post to be, "...or is he happy to see me?" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.