Is he hungry or affectionate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
Occasionally Hudson will try to nibble my fingers and at first I thought he was just hungry but today he did it and its way early for his usual mealtime. Is it time to increase his food intake or does he just like me (lol)?

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Don't let him bite you!!! I don't know if he wants you or food but letting him bite you could end badly!!

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
NYC
I don't but he barely touches me when he does it.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
He probably thinks you have food. Doesn't necessarily mean he is hungry, Russians are used to browsing for food all day, that is what they are hard wired to do. Do not let this continue, it can cause problems in the future, especially when he is bigger and can start drawing blood.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
I love your signature! Sometimes it’s the best conversation you can have. Lol.

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
NYC
Well how do i make him not do it? He likes to sit on my hand a lot so I don't know he will do it until he does. But then i take away my hand I dont stay and let him nibble lol. I suppose thats enough to deter him? I cant exactly flick him on the nose like a dog lol.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Easy, don't let him sit on your hand. How about your lap instead?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He associates you with food most likely. He might also consider you an invader or mate in which case he'd also bite you. Either way, it's pretty cool that he is unafraid and so outgoing.

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
NYC
Yeah he is very outgoing. He does like to sit on me and he comes up to me a lot and follows me around sometimes haha. When he goes to sit on my hand I'll start putting on my lap instead so no nibbling haha.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My three toed box turtle has a couple of times tried to nibble me. Mine is looking for food though. I walk into the reptile room, and he comes "charging" toward me looking for food...lol.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
My Russian did this when I painted my fingernails red. He literally was going to eat my fingertips. Took the red fingernail polish off and, waalaa, no more biting incidents. I'm thinking yours is most likely hungry.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Since tortoises don't groom each other affectionately like e.g. birds or cats, it is most likely that your tortoise is either looking for food (might like the slightly salty taste of your skin?) or is being territorial.

My little Greek Boo is really really shy, but has suddenly decided that he needs to put on a territorial display when I am working in his tort table (picking up food scraps, poop, or giving food). He walks right up to my hand and gives my finger a good pinch. When he does that I say 'ouch!' and move my hand away. The easy answer? Don't put your hand there. I was so thrilled that he was moving TOWARDS me rather than hiding or running away, but I don't want him getting in the habit of chomping on me, because his little beak is SHARP!

MarianneL711

5 Year Member
NYC
He wasn't in his habitat he was roaming the apt so I don't think he was being territorial per say. He does like to sit with me or climb on my lap if i sit on the floor so I know its not a 'get away' thing either lol. Luckily he doesn't do this nibble thing much so I'm gonna go with he was being piggier than usual lol. Thanks for the input everyone =)

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
Yerdel will also do this put your finger there and you will get chomped I think she thinks its food

MarianneL711 said:
He wasn't in his habitat he was roaming the apt so I don't think he was being territorial per say. He does like to sit with me or climb on my lap if i sit on the floor so I know its not a 'get away' thing either lol. Luckily he doesn't do this nibble thing much so I'm gonna go with he was being piggier than usual lol. Thanks for the input everyone =)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For some tortoises, their "territory" is everything they can see. In the wild a russians territory would encompass many acres. I'm willing to bet your living room is smaller than "acres". :)

Status
Not open for further replies.