Is Cedar always bad?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I am going to build a couple of planter boxes that will be kept in the same room, but not inside the enclosure, with my Leopards. We have a bunch of left over cedar fence planks from building our fence. Can I use these, or should I use something else?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If your going to feed the tortoises what you are growing, in the boxes, I wouldn't use them.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I am going to line the box. The fumes would still be in the air though. I think if it is questionable I will figure something else out. Thank you!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Cedat has some weird toxin that is bad for torts (haha, can't remember) but I think if you line it it should be okay.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cedar emits toxic fumes that repel insects. Older weathered planks that are sitting across the room probably won't harm your tortoise.

Put a whole plank in a room and shut the door. Come back in an hour or two and give it the sniff test. If you smell cedar, it might be too strong still. If its only mild or barely there, you should be fine to use it in the same room.

Some people build their outdoor enclosure out of cedar. With an open top and the good ventilation of the great outdoors, it does not cause a problem, if that serves as any sort of reference for you.