IROC

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

I have owned a 1989 Camaro IROC for 28 years, it had 250k on it's original motor. My transmission was slipping badly. I live 3 miles outside of town with no public transportation.
So a car is necessary. I recently got a bit of money. It wasn't enough to buy a new or used car, so I took it to a shop and had them drop a new 350 and a new transmission...$7000. I paid for half and will have to make payments on the rest.
So the new tranny wasn't shifting so I took it back. I put 15 miles on the mess. They fixed the tranny, it was just the kick down adjusted wrong. The mechanic tries to star the car and nothing.
So now he tells me that the fuel pump ain't pumping. So I need a new fuel pump, 'cept it's in the gas tank. They have to drop my rear axle and the gas tank...which is full of hi octain gas...$50 worth of hi octane fuel that they are just throwing away. The fee? $500 for a freaking fuel pump. I am just screaming...crap! So I still don't have my car and I am fing mad.:(

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
what a debacle! old cars can definitely be a lot of hassle. i just replaced my 1986 Bronco -- gas savings $$$!
one question though, how is it that you've had the car for 28 years but its only 19 years old? ;)

M

Maggie Cummings

RE: IROC...

josh said:
what a debacle! old cars can definitely be a lot of hassle. i just replaced my 1986 Bronco -- gas savings $$$!
one question though, how is it that you've had the car for 28 years but its only 19 years old? ;)

Ha ha ha...cuz I'm blonde and mathematically challenged!!! When I typed 28 years I thought "wow, that's a really long time. I need to send pictures of the car to General Motors because I've had him for so long and he still looks that good!"
I hope you got as good a laugh as I did!!!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Maggie, My Camero is a 91 and I had the same thing happen last year. One repair added to another and another $2500.00 later, I still have AC and a top to repair and replace. But what the heck I love this car. Someday I know it will get to the stage that it won't be worth the fixing price. But still I can't afford a new car or even a used at this point and it is still cheaper to fix mine then invest in something else. I hope you knew these repair people because you know some times they just add things us W-O-M-E-N don't know about. I have had two repair people I have used for many, many years and are friends so I trust them not to add on stuff, and to do a good job. Hope you are in the same boat.

M

Maggie Cummings

Crazy1 said:
Maggie, My Camero is a 91 and I had the same thing happen last year. One repair added to another and another $2500.00 later, I still have AC and a top to repair and replace. But what the heck I love this car. Someday I know it will get to the stage that it won't be worth the fixing price. But still I can't afford a new car or even a used at this point and it is still cheaper to fix mine then invest in something else. I hope you knew these repair people because you know some times they just add things us W-O-M-E-N don't know about. I have had two repair people I have used for many, many years and are friends so I trust them not to add on stuff, and to do a good job. Hope you are in the same boat.
I am a grumpy old lady truck driver who has lived alone for a lot of years and if I had two working hands I *could* do mechanical work myself. (I sure wouldn't want to tho) So, no, they don't pull anything over on me...I'm still thinking there's something not quite right about this fuel pump thing, but I can't quite tell just yet...and I don't really want to be the "b" word at them until I have the car in my possession...
but then it's Katie bar the door...cuz here I come!

Status
Not open for further replies.