Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif
I just adopted a hatchling Sulcata Tortoise from my college age niece - she has apparently had him for 4 months. He is very small about 2.5 inches. His name is Walter. We live in Temecula, California so we enjoy the warmer weather. There are approximately 3 months out of the year our temp ranges from 90-105 degrees. Currently we are about 68 during the day in the 40s at night. Walter is living in a fish tank currently however I just constructed him a nice 3' x 5' turtle table. I want to put soil or a similar type of substrate in his new home. I have read many conflicting articles online and decided a forum would be my best bet for providing Walter a happy healthy life. I do take Walter out to the backyard at least one time a day for an hour or so when the weather permits - he loves being in the grass and turtling around. If it is wet and cold out, he gets to turtle around in the house. All input is welcome. Thank you :cool:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! If your soil is free from chemicals, then there is no reason not to be using it. Sounds like your starting on giving him a wonderful sun filled life. :)

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Welcome! And everyone is free to use what they wish, I use coco coir tho. You should read the threads at the bottom of my post that Tom put up, very helpfull info! And make sure your keeping your little one warm enough, being to cold causes lots of sick sullys and they can pass from these illness's. I almost learned the hard way. Good luck!

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
Thank you!

Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome! If your soil is free from chemicals, then there is no reason not to be using it. Sounds like your starting on giving him a wonderful sun filled life. :)

mytortET

5 Year Member
Nice meeting you! :) Welcome to TFO! I also "adopted" a sully from my niece. :p When ET was about 18 months, my niece acclimated him to being outside 24-7. The area where ET roams is safe from all dangers and predators. But I've taken on the responsibility of making sure he's in good care by joining TFO, reading and researching everything I can. ;) You'll find a wealth of knowledgeable, friendly members who offer great advice here. Good luck to you! :shy:

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
Thank you. I see that at my local so it yourself store they sell the Coco in a brick ... can that be broken up and used? Sorry I am totally unfamiliar with this product :(

cemmons12 said:
Welcome! And everyone is free to use what they wish, I use coco coir tho. You should read the threads at the bottom of my post that Tom put up, very helpfull info! And make sure your keeping your little one warm enough, being to cold causes lots of sick sullys and they can pass from these illness's. I almost learned the hard way. Good luck!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome :) Toms threads are also at the bottom of my post. They may or may not be the same as cemmons12

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
RuthJanice said:
Thank you. I see that at my local so it yourself store they sell the Coco in a brick ... can that be broken up and used? Sorry I am totally unfamiliar with this product :(

Yes, you can break it up and use it. Usually however when you use it, you end up using several bricks at a time. I put the brick into a bucket, add warm water, and then it swells and swells. :D If you end up making it too wet, you can squeeze out the extra water and then if your using a heat bulb or light, it will dry it out pretty quicly. You just keep spraying and adding water while using it as needed. You don't want it to get dry and dusty.

Status
Not open for further replies.