INTRODUCTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

GREENBAYFAN59

5 Year Member
Hi, my name is Rhonda and I live in Hawaii. I have three Sulcata's. They're all about 4 yrs old. Two males, Hercules and Flash and a female Bambam (Named before sexed :p) Hercules has recently discovered sex and I'm concerned he"ll hurt the other two as they are smaller than him. Should I be concerned?[/font]

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi Rhonda and welcome to TFO!:D You do have grounds to worry, first what are the sizes of all three of them? A large one can easily harm smaller roommates. Plus, Bam will no doubt be feeling stress from Herc wanting to try to breed her. :( Is it possible to separate them? Do they have a large enclosure now with lots of visual sight barriers? That would go a long way to relieving problems.

GREENBAYFAN59

5 Year Member
Mahalo for the warm welcomes. Will try to post pictures soon. In the meantime I will seperate them as much as I can. I noticed rub marks on both smaller tortoises shells from Herc mounting them. Haven't noticed stress yet. Both are eating and pooping just fine!:p Thanks for the help!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
welcome to the forum.
when you have a sulcata who hits puberty, and he has roommates there is always concern. how big of an area are they being kept in?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello Rhonda and welcome to the forum...

Sulcata's tend to reach sexual mature when they reach a certain size so it is possible for a 4 year old to be sexually mature. The others that replied to your post are correct, you will need to separate him from the others because he can do some serious damage to the other two. When a male starts to mate he will harass other tortoises to the point of injuring them and stressing them out to the point that they become ill.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Rhonda:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Status
Not open for further replies.