Introduction and Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladysharwyn

5 Year Member
Hi, my name is Rebekah Finks. I do not currently own a tortoise or even a turtle, but my husband and I have been talking about adding a new member to the family. My daughters wonderful idea was "hey lets get a turtle" and after much talking my husband and I have agreed that a Turtle or Tortoise would be a great reptile to bring into the family and one that everyone can agree on. So I am in the process of doing as much research as I can to really find the best fit for us.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Rebekah:

Welcome to the forum!!

I'm just so impressed lately with all the new people joining the forum in order to learn BEFORE they buy the animal! Good job!! :D

May we know where you are? It helps us to provide the good info when we know what kind of climate you live in.

Unless you're prepared to keep an outside pond, or buy a filter, large aquarium, lights, and all the paraphernalia that goes along with a water turtle, I'd like to suggest either a box turtle or a Russian tortoise. Both of these get to be very people friendly and are fairly easy to take care of.

But please bear in mind that whatever you decide upon, it will really be best to provide an outdoor habitat for when the weather permits it to be outdoors.

So wander through our archives and read up on what we've all been talking about. Then ask all your questions. We're happy to answer them!

ladysharwyn

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Rebekah:

Welcome to the forum!!

I'm just so impressed lately with all the new people joining the forum in order to learn BEFORE they buy the animal! Good job!! :D

May we know where you are? It helps us to provide the good info when we know what kind of climate you live in.

Unless you're prepared to keep an outside pond, or buy a filter, large aquarium, lights, and all the paraphernalia that goes along with a water turtle, I'd like to suggest either a box turtle or a Russian tortoise. Both of these get to be very people friendly and are fairly easy to take care of.

But please bear in mind that whatever you decide upon, it will really be best to provide an outdoor habitat for when the weather permits it to be outdoors.

So wander through our archives and read up on what we've all been talking about. Then ask all your questions. We're happy to answer them!

I am located in Cincinnati, OH. and when I finally get to buy a house I will make a wonderful outdoor living area for whatever animal I find, but as of right now I have a townhouse with very little yard. But I only work part time and am home lots so I have plenty of time to take whatever animal I get outside to play in the sun at least 2 times a week!

M

Maggie Cummings

Welcome to the forum...due to your living in Ohio and not really having a yard, I would suggest a box turtle. They have great personalities and live in the house with no problem. Tortoises should have the chance to live outside a lot but box turtles don't care. They live inside just fine...

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Welcome to the wonderful world of tortoises. You cannot go wrong starting off with a Greek or a Hermanns. In fact, they are so great you will soon want more than one!! :D

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
OK! Describe tiny! As in what are the dimensions of your yard and how much of that space are you going to designate for your tortoise? Also...does it get plenty of sunlight...and pictures of your yard would be nice, as well ;)

...and Welcome :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.