Introducing Peanut and Butters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeuroNaka

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Hello everyone! I am the proud new caretaker of Peanut and Butters, two juvenile Leopard Tortoises, both female (I think). About three weeks ago I adopted these little ladies from a friend, because her new apartment couldn't really accommodate them. Peanut, the smaller one, is about 5 years old, while Butter is 4. They live out on my balcony, which faces east and gets really good morning sun. Unfortunately, by 2PM there is no direct sunlight. Their previous owner made a 46" x 28" x 10" pen for them. I have since added an aquaponics garden for them to feed in, and a stand with wheels to roll them inside during the winter. I am completely obsessed with them. As you can probably tell, they've started to pyramid a little. I think they were kept pretty dry as hatchlings and young adults so I'm taking measures to increase the humidity in their pen.

This is Peanut.
p5W30DX.jpg
Dpg01qU.jpg

This is Butters.
EvQOTuq.jpg
T6sthsB.jpg

Their pen. They like to hide under the ramp more than the burrow. I mist the burrow every morning and night after reading about pyramiding, but they seem to prefer the drier substrate. I'm currently making a root humid hide for them, waiting for the roots to take. The substrate is a mixture of play sand, Ecoscraps organic compost, rocks, and dried leaves/grasses.
yALJsji.jpg

A rock garden with cuttlebone and a basking spot. 150 watt full spectrum heat bulb that's on a timer from 7AM to 11PM. I'm contemplating switching it to a ceramic heat bulb and running it's 24/7. Or having both fixtures. The sun goes over my building by 2PM, so they’re the shade for the rest of the day, so I keep the light on for heat and UVA rays.
jnep57p.jpg

A sheltered bridge linking their pen to their garden. I’ve drilled holes on the side so they can look out and have a view of downtown LA and Culver City. On top of the roof I’ve placed tupperwares of grasses from sulcatafood.com. I’ve taped a garbage bag covered with the organic compost/sand mix on the floor so that no moisture gets absorbed into the wood. When I water the grass on top, it drips down into the bridge and into the substrate, keeping the tunnel cool and a little humid. Any excess water drains into the aquaponics bed to minimize water loss.
KKj4JOt.jpg
3MH1jiQ.jpg

This is their garden. I’ve planted seeds from sulcatafood.com 3 weeks ago and you can see how immensely it’s grown. The power of aquaponcis! I’ve also planted dandelions, corn salad, Jupiter’s beard, pansys, petunias, and snapdragons, but none have sprouted so far. The tupperware tops make a great canopy to provide them some shade as they graze.
77Au50Q.jpg

A view of my aquaponcis setup. The fishtank water flows into the sump underneath the table, then gets pumped into three lines: the main growbed, the two smaller banister growbeds, and back into the fishtank. The system is pretty much self-sustaining. All I have to do is top off the evaporated/spilled water every 3-5 days. I use the fishwater to water the Tupperware plants. The excess soil-water floods and makes its way back to the fish tank. The fish eat the detritus and bacteria from the soil, then poop and pollute the water. The fish water gets pumped into the growbeds and fertilizes the plants. The torts eat the plants, and if they poop in the bed, I throw it into the fishtank which the fish LOVE to eat. It’s a nice closed loop. :) I’ve also go lettuce and herbs growing for myself (and for treats).
4EVbqDR.jpg

The aquaponics also has the additional advantage of a “waterfall” that the ladies like to bathe in.
sOjENcE.jpg
GBaruWQ.jpg

I’ve got a pretty nice urban ecosystem going on here. Every morning hummingbirds come by the trees to feed. There’s a nice harmony between the wasps, flies, and spiders.
Y0JLxlO.jpg
qxhlvoM.jpg

sCen2ms.jpg

My apartment complex also has a large gated lawn and I try to take them out there on the days I get home early to give them exercise. I hope you all approve of my habit for them. I plan on being here for at least a year longer, maybe two. Then, who knows where, but it’ll probably be somewhere accommodating to them (unless my friend takes them back). I’d love to hear any suggestions that you might have to improve their living conditions. For those of you who are unfamiliar with aquaponics, I HIGHLY suggest you invest in a system! You can do it VERY cheaply too, less than $100 if you know how to cut corners. I imagine all of you are animal lovers, so this easy addition not only add the enjoyment of another pet, but it also serves a functional purpose to minimize your involvement (i.e., no need to water plants!).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Some nice leopards and enclosure you have there.

What kind of fish do you house for this aqua phonics? It's a very nice system.

NeuroNaka

10 Year Member!
Los Angeles, CA
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:) Some nice leopards and enclosure you have there.

What kind of fish do you house for this aqua phonics? It's a very nice system.

Just a few comet goldfish, half a dozen minnows, and a bushynose pleco. They're in a 20 gallon tank with a 10 gallon sump. By an aquarist's standards, the tank is overstocked, but the growbeds and my additional filters provide ample filtration (I hope).

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Super cute, seen tiny for their age but I have sulcatas which get bigger. I already know someone's going to say something about your water dish. I've used that kind with no problem but others have found them to be death traps. You might want to try switching to a Tera cotta saucer from meijer or walmart and sinking it even with the substrate. Also be careful with the small pebbles my sulcatas would probably eat those and become impacted. Otherwise good job I'm sure they're happy to be outside! Super cute faces

NeuroNaka

10 Year Member!
Los Angeles, CA
Hello all! Thank you for your comments.

lkwagner said:
Super cute, seen tiny for their age but I have sulcatas which get bigger. I already know someone's going to say something about your water dish. I've used that kind with no problem but others have found them to be death traps. You might want to try switching to a Tera cotta saucer from meijer or walmart and sinking it even with the substrate. Also be careful with the small pebbles my sulcatas would probably eat those and become impacted. Otherwise good job I'm sure they're happy to be outside! Super cute faces

Yes, Peanut seems especially small, something her previous owner was concerned about. She's about 4" in length, but is a year older than Butters who is about 6". Peanut was also attacked and gnawed on by a Pomeranian, so she's pretty traumatized and still timid. I assume this is the major cause of her stunted growth, along with improper nutrition/sunlight/exercise. However, yesterday she ate from my hand! So I guess she's coming out of her shell (pun intended).

I forgot to mention that I am planning on changing their water dish. As of now, I've been moving the pen back and forth while I make adjustments on their bridge, so to avoid water splashes I've been using their old one. They have been using this bowl for years, so they know their way around it pretty well. Plus, I build up the vertical sides on the outside with dirt. Ideally, I'd like to design a micro pond, about 20" x 9", that varies in depth, with a little waterfall in the corner. The problem I've realized with this is that they track a lot of dirt into their bowl, and I don't know how easy it would be to keep making water changes. I might just use a Terra cotta as you suggested.

I am aware that they do eat pebbles. I've seen them do it once, when I first got them. They were being fed mostly lettuce and kale, so they were malnourished. Since then I've broken up their cuttlebone into smaller bits, shaved some cuttlebone on top of their food, as well as just got some Miner-all that I sprinkle on twice every week. I have not seen them eat pebbles since, and I usually watch them eat until they get full and go back in. Then again, I haven't watched them 24/7.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Peanut and Butters are movin' on up in the world. Nice to see another LA tort keeper on here. Welcome! And nice job on your urban habitat. Those cute torts look to be in good hands.

NeuroNaka

10 Year Member!
Los Angeles, CA
I'm going on vacation for 10 days and my roommate will be taking care of them. I have to admit that I'm already starting to miss them, and I haven't even left yet! I'm also paranoid that something might happen to them. I guess this is what it's like being a parent.

NeuroNaka

10 Year Member!
Los Angeles, CA
One thing I haven't been doing is soaking them. I thought this was done only for hatchlings, but after spending most of my day on this forum, I realize I should be deliberately soaking them a few times a week.

Oh yeah, this should be post #5.

NeuroNaka

10 Year Member!
Los Angeles, CA
thatrebecca said:
Peanut and Butters are movin' on up in the world. Nice to see another LA tort keeper on here. Welcome! And nice job on your urban habitat. Those cute torts look to be in good hands.

Thanks, Rebecca! I've been enjoying reading your posts. It seems like we both got into this hobby in a similar fashion and have had the same questions and concerns.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello and Welcome to TFO!! Peanut and butters are really adorable :) and the enclosure is just amazing!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.