Introducing my tortoises... Any useful tips are welcome!

Ella.s

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hello I'm new on here and this my second post! I just thought I'd introduce my tortoises with pictures. I have 3 tortoises one Indian star tortoise called Patta and the other two are Russian tortoises Nettle and Thistle. I was just wondering if anyone had any useful tips on keeping happy healthy tortoises? :) and any treats for Russian or Indian star I can give that will not harm them? Thank you! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426026521.016934.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426026550.084861.jpg

Ella.s

Uk
cute torts! i can see your russians have some bad pyramiding, this is caused by lack of humidity. replace the hay substrate with substate that can be moist. do you provide them with water?
Yes I give them water does this mean I should bath them more?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Russians have rough looking shells so it doesn't look too bad to me but I totally agree a change in substrate. Fir bark or coco coir are good options.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. Your star is adorable! I want one. The Russians are very cute too. There are care guides in the species sections for stars and Russians.

Ella.s

Uk
Welcome to the forum. Your star is adorable! I want one. The Russians are very cute too. There are care guides in the species sections for stars and Russians.
Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ella, and welcome to the Forum!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Ella welcome to the TFO from AZ . Dogs and cats do well in pairs but torts need to alone or in trio' s but not pairs . So keep a eye on your Russians . It may start out as just looks , or setting on the food . But Russians rule ! Have a great tort day !

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Welcome!
For treats with my Russian, I feed him a little cherry tomato a few times a year as a treat because he goes especially crazy for them, they're not a great food but he came from a petstore that fed them. I'd say treats aren't really necessary honestly, better treats are things that go in the diet as well, he especially likes dandelion flowers and hibiscus flowers. so he thinks they're treats but are really healthy :p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I love the names you chose for your Russians! Welcome to our forum.

Ella.s

Uk
Welcome!
For treats with my Russian, I feed him a little cherry tomato a few times a year as a treat because he goes especially crazy for them, they're not a great food but he came from a petstore that fed them. I'd say treats aren't really necessary honestly, better treats are things that go in the diet as well, he especially likes dandelion flowers and hibiscus flowers. so he thinks they're treats but are really healthy :p
Thank you

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Lovely tortoises, I want them all!
Bit of pyramiding, but doesn't look too bad to me.
But Russian/Sulcata/Tortoise generally knows his stuff. His advice regarding humidity is certainly correct.
Welcome to the best forum on the internet- bar none.