Introducing my 2 Aldabras

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
i toured his facility, i saw absolutely 0 mixing of species. Not sure what you mean by doesn’t start them out right, all of his tortoises of all ages have beautiful domed shells and great posture.
Im almost sure he had Aldabras in with Gallops. I may be wrong, it would have been years ago
He also may be doing it right now. Years ago he did not.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That all just sounds like a lot of accusations.
And you've been around on this forum how long?
Like I said in my post, it might have all changed now, as this was years ago!
He's not a bad guy, and if he's doing things better and correct now, then very happy he came around.

BajatheChickenMan

West Virginia
You asked why, she told exactly why...
She did not, she just fired off a bunch of accusations with out providing any proof of those things. I've watched his videos and and his animals seem to be well cared for. Not to mention another member said they've seen his facility first hand and if he was providing improper care he has clearly corrected the errors so why even bring it up? You can look back far enough on here to see everyone else doing it wrong too so what?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So besides the pairs issue why is there all this hate of Sam? I'm just curious, people here seem to act like he knows nothing but he's be doing this for 30+ years I think he knows a thing or two. His largest and oldest animals look very healthy to me. Not to say that Aldabraman isnt more experienced or anything but this just sounds like more of the mentality from this site of "We're the only ones right, we know more than you do" that just keeps happening.
Sam is a big time reptile dealer. He imports the Aldabras that he sells. I don't know him personally, so correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think he is breeding any of his own Aldabras. I think most people here have a firm grasp on the differences and benefits of a CBB animal compared to an import, don't we?

Aldabraman is breeding his own and is primarily focused on one species that he clearly and absolutely loves and is passionate about. Now I am pretty sure Sam also loves the species, but he's got A LOT going on over there with all the iguanas, other tortoise species, and different animals coming and going all day every day. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that. I'm saying that there is a big difference in someone who sells tons of imported reptiles and breeds countless species, and a guy who has one or two species that he specializes in in his own backyard. One is a business, with all the good and bad points that go along with that, while the other is a hobbyist clearly doing it out of passion for the species.

I didn't know it until just a few years ago, but there are other breeders out there who stay way under the radar that are breeding Aldabras too. They don't sell to the public and are not interested in being known to the world. That being said, I think its pretty cool that Aldabraman has chosen to share what he does and how he does it with us.

BajatheChickenMan

West Virginia
And you've been around on this forum how long?
Like I said in my post, it might have all changed now, as this was years ago!
He's not a bad guy, and if he's doing things better and correct now, then very happy he came around.
What's your point? Doesnt matter if I've been here a day or ten years none of you are the arbiter of tortoise care. If someone used to provide improper care and have since corrected it why even bring it up? You come off as trying to slander someone's business and husbandry practices without even having the facts.

BajatheChickenMan

West Virginia
Sam is a big time reptile dealer. He imports the Aldabras that he sells. I don't know him personally, so correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think he is breeding any of his own Aldabras. I think most people here have a firm grasp on the differences and benefits of a CBB animal compared to an import, don't we?

Aldabraman is breeding his own and is primarily focused on one species that he clearly and absolutely loves and is passionate about. Now I am pretty sure Sam also loves the species, but he's got A LOT going on over there with all the iguanas, other tortoise species, and different animals coming and going all day every day. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that. I'm saying that there is a big difference in someone who sells tons of imported reptiles and breeds countless species, and a guy who has one or two species that he specializes in in his own backyard. One is a business, with all the good and bad points that go along with that, while the other is a hobbyist clearly doing it out of passion for the species.

I didn't know it until just a few years ago, but there are other breeders out there who stay way under the radar that are breeding Aldabras too. They don't sell to the public and are not interested in being known to the world. That being said, I think its pretty cool that Aldabraman has chosen to share what he does and how he does it with us.
Far as I know and understand it Sam is also breeding them. He might still import or buy from other breeders too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Far as I know and understand it Sam is also breeding them. He might still import or buy from other breeders too.
That would be great if that is the case, but I haven't seen that. I see him offering lots of adults for sale on his sale sheet. I've asked a couple of friends that are familiar with him and his business. I'll report what they say.

I don't have anything bad to say about the man or his operation, but my preference would be to buy from a small time hobby breeder in most cases. Less risk, generally speaking, and more individual attention to the animals in question than a large scale operation with lots of employees and workers in the mix and 100s or 1000s of other reptile species passing through those same hands.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What's your point? Doesnt matter if I've been here a day or ten years none of you are the arbiter of tortoise care. If someone used to provide improper care and have since corrected it why even bring it up? You come off as trying to slander someone's business and husbandry practices without even having the facts.
Because what I have seen way before you joined makes a big difference! A long with others that know him much better than you!
You are making this into something it's not! You've only been here a couple months. I've seen a lot since 2011. That makes the difference.
Besides the fact that you keep wanting to over look what I originally said. So reread post 17 and take it as written!
Stop trying to start something that's not there!

BajatheChickenMan

West Virginia
Because what I have seen way before you joined makes a big difference! A long with others that know him much better than you!
You are making this into something it's not! You've only been here a couple months. I've seen a lot since 2011. That makes the difference.
Besides the fact that you keep wanting to over look what I originally said. So reread post 17 and take it as written!
Stop trying to start something that's not there!
The way you berate new comers and talk in a condescending manner to them remains consistent.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If 'Sam' is Toucan Jungle, he doesn't just import. He buys any aldabran he thinks he can sell. A couple years ago he bought my two.

zovick

10 Year Member!
If 'Sam' is Toucan Jungle, he doesn't just import. He buys any aldabran he thinks he can sell. A couple years ago he bought my two.
Toucan Jungle is owned by Chris Estep and he is in the San Diego area. Sam Pascucci, who goes by the name "Dr. Sam", is in Florida and owns Florida Tortoise and Iguana Breeders.

Last edited by a moderator: