Introducing my 2 Aldabras

Patientgrowing

Location (City and/or State)
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Hi everyone I wanted to introduce myself and my 2 Aldabras to this community. Long time lurker and finally made an account.

My smaller Aldabra (USA captive bred April 23’ from toucan jungle) is named Flower. My bigger Aldabra named Clover I just got 2 weeks ago from Sam at Florida iguana and tort breeders.

Attached is picture of their outdoor enclosure, finishing up their heated night houses. In the meantime I’ve been taking them into their indoor enclosure every night and out during the day. Excited the weather is finally looking nice enough for them to be out everyday.

633A29F6-DE11-47B4-AFC7-8318F7D7255B.jpeg165C21DC-55AB-40C0-98EE-26BF1402F175.jpeg55FE8B87-DD24-4C34-B310-4586F5FAE70D.jpeg45D5CAC8-0343-4FDF-A18F-3C1FF8BD556C.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone I wanted to introduce myself and my 2 Aldabras to this community. Long time lurker and finally made an account.

My smaller Aldabra (USA captive bred April 23’ from toucan jungle) is named Flower. My bigger Aldabra named Clover I just got 2 weeks ago from Sam at Florida iguana and tort breeders.

Attached is picture of their outdoor enclosure, finishing up their heated night houses. In the meantime I’ve been taking them into their indoor enclosure every night and out during the day. Excited the weather is finally looking nice enough for them to be out everyday.

View attachment 367031View attachment 367032View attachment 367033View attachment 367034
Never keep them as a pair. Groups are okay, pairs are not. Here is the argument that we have over and over again:

_The_Beast_

Canada
Welcome! I love how you've built the enclosure (enclosures?) along the patio.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome.
Are you sure the one from toucan is captive bred? Years ago they only imported.
They grow fast and big, be prepared to expand that enclosure soon. Well, not too soon, probably a couple years.
They look good.

Patientgrowing

Port Saint Lucie Florida
Never keep them as a pair. Groups are okay, pairs are not. Here is the argument that we have over and over again:
Interesting, the complete opposite was recommended by Sam from fl iguana and tortoise breeders. He has more experience with Aldabras than anyone else I know of in the US, though I’m sure they’re out there. I understand he does have incentive to sell more tortoises, but I also know he loves his tortoises dearly and wouldn’t give bad advice intentionally.

Have you seen an example of Aldabras not doing well because of pairs like examples of bullying? Or what you assert is based on theoretical information? Thanks in advance

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Interesting, the complete opposite was recommended by Sam from fl iguana and tortoise breeders. He has more experience with Aldabras than anyone else I know of in the US, though I’m sure they’re out there. I understand he does have incentive to sell more tortoises, but I also know he loves his tortoises dearly and wouldn’t give bad advice intentionally.

Have you seen an example of Aldabras not doing well because of pairs like examples of bullying? Or what you assert is based on theoretical information? Thanks in advance
Actually, the best breeder and possibly with much more experience is @ALDABRAMAN. Hopefully he will answer this for Aldabras once and for all.

Patientgrowing

Port Saint Lucie Florida
Actually, the best breeder and possibly with much more experience is @ALDABRAMAN. Hopefully he will answer this for Aldabras once and for all.
Looking forward to getting his input on this.

At the end of the day I’m just trying to do right by my torts and give them a happy healthy life. If this truly is the case and I have to add in a 3rd to create balance in the group then so be it. Not something i can do in the immediate future but something I absolutely would asap if it was in Flower and Clover’s best interest.

As of yet they don’t interact a tremendous amount, but I’ve noticed some food competition when one sees the other eating them will come and join. Definitely have sniffed each other a lot, but generally just do their own things.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Yes. Any species kept in pairs does this same thing. Ever keep chameleons? Ask a chameleon keeper about keeping them in pairs and see what they say. Its the same thing with tortoises, only it takes longer for them to get sick or die and they don't change color to show their displeasure at sharing space with another tortoise. Sometimes torts just soldier on under the chronic stress and survive it, but it is not good for them.

Remember, we are talking about pairs, not trios, not groups. Pairs. One on one. Aldabras do just fine in groups. One might argue they do better in groups.

Introduction

San Antonio tx

View attachment 367031View attachment 367032View attachment 367033View attachment 367034
Welcome & I love what you have built outside!

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Hello and Welcome.
Are you sure the one from toucan is captive bred? Years ago they only imported.
They grow fast and big, be prepared to expand that enclosure soon. Well, not too soon, probably a couple years.
They look good.
The imported animals are captive bred too. An imported captive bred animal is really no different from the ones produced in Florida. You could make the argument that supporting a farm in the tortoises native land is better than some rich dude in Florida that breeds them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The imported animals are captive bred too. An imported captive bred animal is really no different from the ones produced in Florida. You could make the argument that supporting a farm in the tortoises native land is better than some rich dude in Florida that breeds them.
Yes, I know they are still captive bred. But if I'm buying something from someone that says captive bred, I expect them to be bred from that breeder in this country. Not an import from who knows where and what. From my understanding when I spoke to Toucan years ago, they are not imported from their native country and they didn't have any breeding of their own. But that was years ago. If it's actually an import then that's what they should be sold as.

Last edited:

jennycooper77

Georgia

Oh wow! I have never seen baby Aldabras. I once worked at a spot in Florida and we had a male and female that rescued from a circus where they were forced to give rides to children. The female was somewhere in the 300 pound range and the male in the 500 pound range. The most surprising thing about them to me was how quickly and quietly they can sneak up on you lol.

Patientgrowing

Port Saint Lucie Florida
Yes. Any species kept in pairs does this same thing. Ever keep chameleons? Ask a chameleon keeper about keeping them in pairs and see what they say. Its the same thing with tortoises, only it takes longer for them to get sick or die and they don't change color to show their displeasure at sharing space with another tortoise. Sometimes torts just soldier on under the chronic stress and survive it, but it is not good for them.

Remember, we are talking about pairs, not trios, not groups. Pairs. One on one. Aldabras do just fine in groups. One might argue they do better in groups.
Sounds like i need to make arrangements to add a 3rd tortoise whenever i can. Realistically won’t be until at the soonest later this year, but if that’s the best thing for their happiness then I’ll make it happen when i can.

For now they have tons of visual barriers to get away from each other if they’re feeling stressed. Both eating very healthily and packing on weight, between 3-10g per day consistently.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Frankly, I know you will do what you want and whatever you think is right...but...a family member who I will guarantee is more experienced than Sam got 2 Aldabs about the same size as those...she has a big place with, at that time probaby 40+ tortoises. Over the years it became obvious that 1 was quite a bit bigger than the other...so to make a long story short no matter what you think, 1 will be bullied and stunted. I am saying to the extent of 50 or so pound difference. She watched them and the bigger one would keep the smaller one away from the shed, or the corner or the food...or simply just pushed around. You will say, but mine get along...not really... what you think is getting along is bullying, mentally and physically. So you can make a decision, get more, not just 1 more, or separate now before one is stunted, and not healthy...
Also...ALDABRAMAN has it all over Sam...

_The_Beast_

Canada
Sounds like i need to make arrangements to add a 3rd tortoise whenever i can. Realistically won’t be until at the soonest later this year, but if that’s the best thing for their happiness then I’ll make it happen when i can.

For now they have tons of visual barriers to get away from each other if they’re feeling stressed. Both eating very healthily and packing on weight, between 3-10g per day consistently.
I can't wait to see how they keep growing and learn what name you choose for your eventual third. They're such beautiful tortoises, please continue to share pics ♥️

BajatheChickenMan

West Virginia
So besides the pairs issue why is there all this hate of Sam? I'm just curious, people here seem to act like he knows nothing but he's be doing this for 30+ years I think he knows a thing or two. His largest and oldest animals look very healthy to me. Not to say that Aldabraman isnt more experienced or anything but this just sounds like more of the mentality from this site of "We're the only ones right, we know more than you do" that just keeps happening.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So besides the pairs issue why is there all this hate of Sam? I'm just curious, people here seem to act like he knows nothing but he's be doing this for 30+ years I think he knows a thing or two. His largest and oldest animals look very healthy to me. Not to say that Aldabraman isnt more experienced or anything but this just sounds like more of the mentality from this site of "We're the only ones right, we know more than you do" that just keeps happening.
There isn't hate for Sam. I believe he is actually a member of the forum, but doesn't participate much, neither does Aldabraman any more.
But Sam doesn't or at least didn't, not sure if he's changed, doesn't start his tortoises out right and I believe he has or been known to mix species. It's a business for him more so than someone like Aldabraman who cares more about the animal than the money.

BajatheChickenMan

West Virginia
There isn't hate for Sam. I believe he is actually a member of the forum, but doesn't participate much, neither does Aldabraman any more.
But Sam doesn't or at least didn't, not sure if he's changed, doesn't start his tortoises out right and I believe he has or been known to mix species. It's a business for him more so than someone like Aldabraman who cares more about the animal than the money.
That all just sounds like a lot of accusations.

Patientgrowing

Port Saint Lucie Florida
i toured his facility, i saw absolutely 0 mixing of species. Not sure what you mean by doesn’t start them out right, all of his tortoises of all ages have beautiful domed shells and great posture.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
We are just trying to show you that there are more experienced people here that we trust and use...Also we want you to see the other Aldab keepers so you can see how other more experienced keepers do...I would also recommend you look up Jerry Fife in Arizona, he's another Aldab breeder...
We have an Aldab keeper in Central California, several in Florida...just trying to show you there's more than Sam...