Introducing Montezuma

Status
Not open for further replies.

montezuma

5 Year Member
Hi TortoiseForum!

We are very proud new owners of a baby Sulcata (born Sept 2012) named Montezuma :) - Monty for short.

We live in MA, and Monty was shipped from ATC. This forum has been very helpful as we've been learning how to take care of him!

59xxs1.jpg
28te429.jpg

2z3q6ad.jpg
2rnbhxk.jpg

His setup:
container: Large under-bed tupperware

substrate: one side cypress mulch, other side coco coir & sphagnum peat moss

light: Zoo Med PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor Lamp 100 Watts

heat: Ceramic Heat Emitter

food: spring mix (- spinach), ZooMed Grasslands (still working on getting him to actually eat this), Assortment of grasses, greens, weeds, succulents, and cacti

humidity: we soak him twice daily, mist his container frequently, and have a moss-filled humid hide box (which he never wants to go in. he prefers his log hideout)

Olivia & Erik

TortoiseRN

5 Year Member
Awesome pics especially the one where he's all sprawled out in his water dish. Love it when my baby does that.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome. You got him from Arizona tortoise compound? If so that's where I got my sulcata...

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Very cute! My fav is the one where he is sleeping in the water dish with his precious little head resting on the side! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Olivia and Eric, and welcome to the Forum!

Wow...it sounds like you've been doing your homework.

montezuma

5 Year Member
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Yes mainey34, he is from Arizona Tortoise Compound - they were great and even sent us seeds after he arrived.

Here is a picture of his enclosure. Each of the duo lamps has a ceramic heater and a UV/heat bulb. We haven't had to use more than one of each at a time but wanted to be prepared in case of a cold winter.

2gybxft.jpg

I just visited Florida and brought back some prickly pear and Hibiscus for Monty. He doesn't seem to like the (de-spined and cut up) cactus much, though. How do I get him to eat it?

2rxk1tv.jpg

Also, we're having a bug problem in the cypress mulch. There seem to be two kinds, but maybe they're just different ages. Both are tiny and brown (my camera's not good enough), one crawls and looks like an ant, the other flies. They seem to come back too quickly to just keep changing substrate.

I ordered pill bugs (roly polies, Armadillidium) online to help take care of the bugs. Good idea? Bad idea?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Thanks,

Olivia & Erik

Status
Not open for further replies.