introducing chomper and leo

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenmoore, PA
Hi all,

Just introduced myself yesterday and thought i would post a couple pics of my torts. Chomper is my WC russian, and Leo is my 3 and a half year old Leopard. I was hoping to get some guesses on Leos sex. i was originally thinking male but now i am unsure. He is approximately 6 inches SCL. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Probably male. But I'm seldom right. I'm going by the anal scutes, which point outwards. However, yesterday Danny said something about the line between the anal scutes and the scutes above them being straight when female and curved when male. That line on Leo seems to be straight, which would mean female. Oh where's Danny when you need him?

I love the name, "Chompers." Your leopard is pretty. I have one looks pretty much like him, same size and everything.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sometimes those leo's are pretty hard to sex. My vote is female. The anal scutes say male, tail and the little notch behind the tail says female also. Danny will clear this up.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Neal Butler said:
Sometimes those leo's are pretty hard to sex. My vote is female. The anal scutes say male, tail and the little notch behind the tail says female also. Danny will clear this up.

kind of my thinking too, and it almost looks as though the anal scutes might be starting to curve more like that of a female.

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Danny is really good at that letting you know this. Myself I am somewhat clueless when it comes to sexes. I thought 3 out of 4 of my torts were female. turns out all 4 are male LOL

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
at the moment everything looks like a male and i cant see the anal scutes changing direction of growth at this stage in development.
terry

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
You could send a PM to Danny and direct him to this thread. He might not get a chance to look at every single thread ;)

Your torts are gorgeous! I especially love your little Russian- that is one good-looking little tort!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I agree with Yvonne and Terry :) It's a male.

The curved and straight line work better in Sulcatas, but does work sometimes with Leopards. It's a straight line for males and a curved line for females. :D

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.