Introducing Aesop (Sri Lankan Star Tortoise)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I recently picked up a new Sri Lankan Star tortoise born on 2/2/2009.
His/her name is Aesop.

Aesop20090217b.jpg

Aesop20090217m.jpg

Aesop20090217h.jpg

Aesop20090217q.jpg

Aesop thinks he/she can fly!
Aesop20090217r.jpg

Size comparison to Kala & Indu:
group20090217b.jpg

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
What a beautiful tort.... If its not to nosey, How much paper did he put you back?

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Man thats more than i could afford, but they sure are pretty.... I think they have my faverate shell pattern

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I showed these baby pictures to my three yr old god daughter, and she was enthralled. When I clicked off she practically shouted, "No bring the turtle back!"

It was cute. :) Just like your pictures!

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
That is one beautiful tortoise! I took my daughter to the Cleveland Zoo today and we got to see the three star torts that they have!I love the designs on the shell.Anyway, good luck with the new one!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
gummybearpoop, now I know little or nothing about stars so help me out. Will Aesop keep the distinct pattern on her shell, or will it change as she grows? Reason I ask is I just love how h/she has the distinctive yellow star that is framed in dark as the marking over her head. The others have it also but the yellow star tails merge. They are all beautiful. And I do like h/her flying pic, very cute.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Crazy1 said:
gummybearpoop, now I know little or nothing about stars so help me out. Will Aesop keep the distinct pattern on her shell, or will it change as she grows? Reason I ask is I just love how h/she has the distinctive yellow star that is framed in dark as the marking over her head.

Robyn,
I am not to sure if she will keep that distinctive yellow star, but usually hatchling star tortoises start to develop the more intricate adult pattern around 6 months. Usually a good portion of the star designs connect with each other as shown below:

Pic courtest of tortoise trust
tabelegans.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
He's exactly the one I would have picked. :p :p :D Just love his little star.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
terryo said:
Aesop is beautiful! I never realized that they were so expensive.

hahah I actually got a cheap one! There is someone on kingsnake selling his babies for $700 each though $400-$550 is more common. Mine was $400 SHIPPED, but it was a BIG chunk out of my check.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
terryo said:

And not getting any cheaper! A friend and I went to a big reptile show in Southern California about 15 years ago. They were selling Star hatchlings for $500 apiece. In 15 years the price has NOT come down!

Yvonne

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
emysemys said:
terryo said:

And not getting any cheaper! A friend and I went to a big reptile show in Southern California about 15 years ago. They were selling Star hatchlings for $500 apiece. In 15 years the price has NOT come down!

Yvonne

True Yvonne and also star tortoises from Sri Lanka are less common. There are only a handful of breeders who produce true Sri Lankan star tortoises such as Douglas Beard who comes on this forum when he has time for us...haha.

There was a time, I believe about 15 years ago, when indian star tortoises were around 175-200 because of huge shipments of imports, the majority being illegal. A lot of these imports died...giving indian stars a bad rap. The majority of wild caught imports of any species don't do so great in captivity.

My captive bred star tortoises are doing great and in my opinion, are easy to care for than red-footed tortoises. BUT, I live in Arizona which has a similar climate/habitat to the natural habitat of star tortoises in India and Sri Lanka. It is more difficult (more effort) to keep red-foot tortoises in Arizona than a lot of other species. Thus, I have decided to keep mostly arid species. Luckily, there is a good variety of arid species I can keep with relatively low maintenance in Arizona.

Jacqui said:

You will never ever ever forgive me....haha. ;) Early bird gets the worm! :cool: You were snoozing in your snow cave! :p Just Kiddin!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
gummybearpoop said:
Jacqui said:
You will never ever ever forgive me....haha. ;) Early bird gets the worm! :cool: You were snoozing in your snow cave! :p Just Kiddin!

:p Nah the way I look at it, your just paying for, feeding and caring for MY tort! :D Hey you know I have to have something to tease you about, Brat. :D
'Sides I do have first chance when she produces don't I? Hint hint. Nudge nudge. Hmmm no answer??? *rubs chin* *slides a snowball down the back of his shirt...:D

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
"'Sides I do have first chance when she produces don't I? Hint hint. Nudge nudge. Hmmm no answer??? *rubs chin* *slides a snowball down the back of his shirt..."

Better be careful with that snowball Jacqui, because you know I have plenty of cactus pads to go against your snow balls.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
gummybearpoop said:
"'Sides I do have first chance when she produces don't I? Hint hint. Nudge nudge. Hmmm no answer??? *rubs chin* *slides a snowball down the back of his shirt..."

Better be careful with that snowball Jacqui, because you know I have plenty of cactus pads to go against your snow balls.

:p I dare ya! :p:D (ulterior motive here, I want some cactus pads to try growing).

torto_x

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
GBP, she's so cute!
LoL about she thought she cud fly :D Love that pic!

Btw, how can everyone here be so sure that the star baby they bought is a sri lankan, not indian?
Babies look all the same.
I gave up about this sri / ind issue. I guess in the end they call all the good lookin stars as sri lankan star,
and the regular or not so lucky one as indian star. Hehehe..

Status
Not open for further replies.