Intro - New Leo Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

pi01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
Hi Everyone - Wanted to quickly introduce myself. My name is Paul and after 4+ years of research and consideration purchased a 8mth old Leo named Elvis Saturday at a reptile show in Charleston, SC.

I actually looked at the little guy 3 - 4 times, walking away after each before deciding to take the dive. The seller appeared to me to be more of a re-seller then a hobbyist and I eventually decided he was better off with me.

Since arriving in his new home, I have kept him pretty isolated. Except for warm water baths (2 x day) and couple hours outside in the sun, I have been leaving him be to acclimate to his new environment. He is eating and drinking tho I anticipated more of both. This AM he had a few bites of cactus then went back to his hide (dry) to sleep where he spends 95% or more of his time. I am hoping this is just symptomatic of the changes, stress from his travels and a questionable diet with the previous owner. Please let me know if anyone feels this is concerning.

I look forward to more reading and hopefully becoming a contributing member soon.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum.. Sound like you got it all right and once his gets adjusted to a new home and diet and some time out in the sun, he should become more active.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Welcome to the forum.There are a lot of leopard keepers on here who have some good info to share.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Paul:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know where you are?

I know you said that you bought him at a show, but is it possible to find out what the tortoise is used to eating? Sometimes when we switch their diet, they don't recognize the new offering as "food."

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Welcome to TFO, sorry I don't have a leo so not sure what is typical behavior for them. I am sure some leo owners will come on soon and help you out

pi01

5 Year Member
South Carolina
Thanks for the kind welcomes.

I decided to work from home today and keep an eye on him. Lights came on at 9:30 and I put him the sun for 90 minutes starting at 10. When he went back in to his enclosure he immed went into the hide and back to sleep. It is now 2pm and he just ventured out for the first time. He is exploring now and showing some activity.

I am in South Carolina.

His previous diet was mostly moist greens, romaine. His stools have been quite runny which I felt was expected given the food type. Yesterday he was fed mixed greens of hibiscus leaves and dandy lion (approx 60%) and spring mix (40%). I also lighted dusted with hydrated Timothy hay cubes. Today the same but added minced cactus and fresh burmuda grass. I had the same thought about his food and why I will continue to include smaller and smaller portions of moist greens in his diet until he is more comfortable with the healthier alternatives.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What are your temperatures like there?

It has been my experience that tortoises will become more active and more likely to eat when they are outside. I would recommend keeping him outside as much as possible, weather permitting. Personally I think 9:30 am is a little late for the lights to come on. I put my hatchlings outside at about 7am when it's first light. They seem to be more active in the morning hours and afternoon hours.

Your diet plan seems pretty good.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
pi01 said:
Thanks for the kind welcomes.

I decided to work from home today and keep an eye on him. Lights came on at 9:30 and I put him the sun for 90 minutes starting at 10. When he went back in to his enclosure he immed went into the hide and back to sleep. It is now 2pm and he just ventured out for the first time. He is exploring now and showing some activity.

I am in South Carolina.

His previous diet was mostly moist greens, romaine. His stools have been quite runny which I felt was expected given the food type. Yesterday he was fed mixed greens of hibiscus leaves and dandy lion (approx 60%) and spring mix (40%). I also lighted dusted with hydrated Timothy hay cubes. Today the same but added minced cactus and fresh burmuda grass. I had the same thought about his food and why I will continue to include smaller and smaller portions of moist greens in his diet until he is more comfortable with the healthier alternatives.

It sounds like you have the right idea :) once he sttles in you can get a better idea of his personality :)

pi01

5 Year Member
South Carolina
Neal said:
What are your temperatures like there?

It has been my experience that tortoises will become more active and more likely to eat when they are outside. I would recommend keeping him outside as much as possible, weather permitting. Personally I think 9:30 am is a little late for the lights to come on. I put my hatchlings outside at about 7am when it's first light. They seem to be more active in the morning hours and afternoon hours.

Your diet plan seems pretty good.

Thanks for the feedback.

Our temps are HOT! Today is one of the cooler days in weeks with a high of 96. Tomorrow back to normal at 101. I picked 9.30 for two reasons... 1) his enclosure is in a northwest facing room which means it gets new light rather late. 9.30 allows a slow intro of natural light before the over head light slams on full blast. 2) If I start the lights too early, say 7.30 they will be going off couple hours after we get home.

Over time, I would like him to be a full time outside resident. But for now with work and school schedules it will be limited. My only concern is humidty. Our average is 90-95% every summer day. I know there are some new thoughts in this arena that higher is better, but I need to read some more before I am 100% convinced.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome To TFO, Congrats!
Do You Have Any Photos You Can Share?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Some torts take long than others to "settle in". What are your four temps? Cool side, warm side, basking spot and night? Temp can have a huge influence on appetite and activity levels.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum :) along with pic's of Elvis can you post some pic's of your setup ??

pi01

5 Year Member
South Carolina
Tom said:
Hello and welcome.

Some torts take long than others to "settle in". What are your four temps? Cool side, warm side, basking spot and night? Temp can have a huge influence on appetite and activity levels.

Thanks Tom!
Basking -100-110
Warm - 90-95
Cool - 80-85
Night 78-80

After he woke at 2pm, he went wild fo 3 straight hours exploring his new enclosure and eating (even acceptin dry Timothy hay). After three hours he crashed heavily. Slept couple hours in his humid hide (90%) before moving to his dry hide where he still sleeps.

coreyc said:
Welcome to the forum :) along with pic's of Elvis can you post some pic's of your setup ??
Thanks corey - Pic? Will this site host? I have a feeling I need to find another site to host and link the pics here. See you have a salt water tank, I use to be heavily involved with reef tanks and SPS propagation. But it just took too much time and I had to get out.

But until I get some pics, my setup starts with a 40 gallon breeder (old prop tank). I started with a sand organic soil mix, but ripped the mixture out and replaced with cypress. I have two hides as previously mentioned, a dry and a humid and a large water dish placed on the cool side. A 75w basking light tho once winter rolls in here and temps start dropping (late November) I will replace with a 100w MV if I cant keep the temp up. How does all this sound? Suggestions?

Thanks again!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Sound's good does he get out in the sun? if not I would replace the basking light with a MVB asap he need's the UVB UVA from it to process calcium.

pi01

5 Year Member
South Carolina
coreyc said:
Sound's good does he get out in the sun? if not I would replace the basking light with a MVB asap he need's the UVB UVA from it to process calcium.

Yes, everyday so far and approx 90 minutes today. Whats the deal with everyone using MV spotlights, wondering why more ppl dont use VHO tubes?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Tubes do not put out enough UVB-UVA for a leo. they are good for other species I have tubes in my enclosure just for extra light along with a MVB

Status
Not open for further replies.