Intro and Homer Facts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homer

5 Year Member
I posted an Intro this morning in the introduction section after my Homer was delivered by FedEx. :)

Homer has a shell length of 2 1/8th inches. And he weighs in at a whopping 1.3 grams.

After he took his first nap, his appetite appeared and he ate well. And he has left at least one little bomb dropping for me.

So I guess so good so far.

Brian

Homer

5 Year Member
Shelly said:
Homer said:
Homer has a shell length of 2 1/8th inches. And he weighs in at a whopping 1.3 grams.

I think you mean ounces.

Oooops. :) I purchased a digital scale so I could track the weight. I am sure you are right. It has both features but ounces does make more sense.

Brian

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Congratulations!
I am glad Homer is doing good, he must be so tinny :D
Do you have any pics?

Homer

5 Year Member
I will post pics this evening, if I can figure out the system. :)

He doesn't seem to mind being lightly handled. He has yet to retreat into his shell when handling him. Not sure that equals friendliness, but it is a start.

Brian

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You got a really little guy...can't wit to see the pictures!:D

Homer

5 Year Member
Little guy is doing well. He is so not a finicky eater. I read stories on the forum about torts avoiding food with sprinkled calcium or vitamins. Homer, much like his namesake, could care less. :D

Brian

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
OH MY GOD he is so cute..... I love babies but they make me so nervous. I'm glad my sully Marlin wasn't that small when I got him. I'm glad Homer is doing well and eats. They are really just pigs with shells. LOL

Homer

5 Year Member
Thanks for the kind words everybody. People always warn you about how big sulcatas get, but they never warn you about how small they can be as babies. :D

As suggested by some experienced tort people, I totally understand why a 1 yr. old or older might be a better option with less worry. But I am totally enjoying the experience, and doing my best to micro-manage Homer's environment.

Brian

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Awww thanks for sharing! He's tiny. For future reference you do want to use grams as it will be more accurate for the small weight of a hatchling. I also like to measure in millimeters but that's more of a preference thing.

Try this for photos. You don't need to "re-size" them. The forum does it. Just post the image code from Photobucket.

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-1408.html

Status
Not open for further replies.