Insect repellent/ new home tort home under construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i put eco earth substrate(coconut coir) in my tank but im worried about ants and other insects getting in there... is there a good bug/insect repellent that i can put around the perimeter of the tank that wont be harmful to my torts? I'm also currently building a new home for my sulcatas, and i was wondering what kind of sealant i should use? Thank you again guys.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I buy Orange Guard from Orchard's Supply Hardware. Its safe around pets and children.

Yvonne

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
That's Osh right? Do you know anything about sealant?

M

Maggie Cummings

dcoolguy68 said:
i put eco earth substrate(coconut coir) in my tank but im worried about ants and other insects getting in there... is there a good bug/insect repellent that i can put around the perimeter of the tank that wont be harmful to my torts? I'm also currently building a new home for my sulcatas, and i was wondering what kind of sealant i should use? Thank you again guys.

If by chance ants DID move in they don't hurt the tortoises...unless it's red ants...but I'm concerned about where you are placing your tank that you are worried about insects. Why are you so worried? Insects really don't seem to be interested in moving inside with a tort...

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
oh they're in a room where no one eats I just don't want there to be ants period cause then my parents will get mad but they started showing up a little when i put in the new substrate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
dcoolguy68 said:
That's Osh right? Do you know anything about sealant?

I'm rebuilding a tortoise house and went shopping to OSH. I had a gallon of Thompson's Water Seal in my cart and was talking to one of the clerks in the lumber section about how to close the door to the new shed. He saw my gallon can and asked if I was planning to use that inside the shed. I was. He said it gives off fumes for quite a while after its painted on and would be best to NOT use it inside. That's the only water seal product I'm familiar with.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

I took that range Guard and sprayed it all around the outside of my tort shed and I have no more ants.
I can't imagine that you have ants in the house. Spray around the outside of your tank. If they are in the substrate you might have to change it...but the Orange Guard will chase off most of the anys.
If you don't want to change the substrate in certain situations I have poured boiling water over the substrate...it has worked...

maggie3fan said:
I took that range Guard and sprayed it all around the outside of my tort shed and I have no more ants.
I can't imagine that you have ants in the house. Spray around the outside of your tank. If they are in the substrate you might have to change it...but the Orange Guard will chase off most of the anys.
If you don't want to change the substrate in certain situations I have poured boiling water over the substrate...it has worked...

I should have edited that... I meant Orange Guard and ants...sorry about that, it's b4 coffee...guess I'd better go gets some...

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thank i will definitly look into that. SO far I sprayed some bug repellent that we had on the outside table their home is on, but i sprayed it lightly and close to the table so the fumes dont get all over the tank and stuff.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Its that time of year when ants wander in from outside.. arent they wonderful! NOT!
I would control them outside as well. That way, they are no where near your torts and there wont be any to come inside.
Dont leave uneaten food out overnight. That might help as well.

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The ant problem has been taken care of I didn't see any at all today since I sprayed it last night, but it has gotten cold these past 2 days so ill let you know by the end of the week

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
dcoolguy68 said:
thank i will definitly look into that. SO far I sprayed some bug repellent that we had on the outside table their home is on, but i sprayed it lightly and close to the table so the fumes dont get all over the tank and stuff.

Hi...please don't spray your tank with pesticides, even the outside, with the tortoise in it. Take the tort outside or at least in a different room for 3 hours before putting him back in. It has residual effect that can make your tort sick, especially since it is so small.
Good luck
Patsy

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I sprayed the bottom of the table where the tank sits on, below the table itself

Status
Not open for further replies.