Insect life

Aretino

5 Year Member
I had an infestation in Dinette's enclosure for awhile of tiny gnats that a friend told me sometimes infest potted plants. At her advice, I added a small percentage of sand to the forest bark that makes up the substrate, and along with a fly strip, that seems to quell the tiny gnats. Now that hot weather is allowing Dinette to spend time outdoors, I have been digging into the substrate and have found an alarming amount of insect life, ranging from black bugs over a half inch long to minute, spider-like insects. Most prolific are pale caterpillars from very small to 3/4" or so. There are many of these. I suspect these might be miller moth larvae, who seem to like the enclosure. A lot of the substrate seems to be bound together with an almost invisible filamentacious web.

There is no indication any of this is harming Dinette, but it seems excessive to me. For the time being, I am removing most of the substrate and baking and turning it over in the sun. I'm thinking of changing to coir, but there's no reason to think it would be immune to similar infestations.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Might try mixing DE food grade into the substrate. Should kill the creepy crawlies. Diacatomus Earth (food grade) is.non toxic, and can be purchased on where else but Amazon.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
I use the coco coir and have had no issue with gnats. Any sand is bad for the eyes so it is best to do a full substrate switch. Good luck. I also have have blue light bug zapper like used in restaurants (in my kitchen) and the whole house is much happier.

Aretino

5 Year Member
Might try mixing DE food grade into the substrate. Should kill the creepy crawlies. Diacatomus Earth (food grade) is.non toxic, and can be purchased on where else but Amazon.

Thanks.

Aretino

5 Year Member
I use the coco coir and have had no issue with gnats. Any sand is bad for the eyes so it is best to do a full substrate switch. Good luck. I also have have blue light bug zapper like used in restaurants (in my kitchen) and the whole house is much happier.

Thanks.