injecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paige Lewis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Swansea, UK
Jimmy at first in february went to the vets with a heavy parasite load, he is now clear of parasites but then developed a respiratory infection, no nasal discharge just clicking noises and went lethargic, he was being treated with marbocyl orally and improved drastically but just as tomorrow was meant to be his last day of medication he has been making clicking noises and slowing down a bit again, so i have spoke to Jimmy's vet and he wants to put him on injectable antibiotics, i didn't ask which ones at the time but i am guessing it will be something like baytrill and man am i nervous, i have never injected anything before, my vets appointment is next thursday (the vet said to keep him on the marbocyl until then) although i am going to ring tomorrow and see if any appointments have freed up, the vet is going to show me how to inject, i think he might also do an x-ray, i was just wondering where they are usually injected, not because i doubt the vet, he is brilliant exotics vet, but just so i can get my head around it a bit more before i actually have to do it? On top of this i am going to visit Germany and my sister will be looking after him who has already said that she won't be able to bring herself to inject him, would a normal vet know how to properly inject a tortoise, as she said she would take him to a vet to do it, or would she have to tell them how?

Thanks for any replies, i am panicing, i should probably add although has been a bit off today, he is still eating plenty and basking and roaming around otherwise i am sure the vet would have seen him earlier.

John

5 Year Member
suprisingly it is not all that dificult.I'm sure the vet will explain it and demonstate,after you do it the first time it is easy.The injection itself does not seem too hurt the tort as much as the baytril does.

Cathy L

5 Year Member
Central Coast of California
I had to inject my juvenile chameleon in his little skinny forearm! I was nervous at first, too, but it got easy after the first couple of times. An extra pair of hands really helps. Good luck!

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
You always inject between fore limb and neck,
The injection has to go down not straight or upwards,
I have been injecting for a few years now, it's pretty straight forward.

The vet may even try Marbocyl injectable.

Can you PM me?

Paige Lewis

5 Year Member
Swansea, UK
Thanks everyone for your responses. Yvonne, the way you have said to inject is exactly how my vet told me to but then he said i could give oral marbocyl as i got scared but now i have no choice so i will do it, the vet is going to show me how to do it thursday, it is just all going to be very difficult though as i go away on the 17th for 12 days and Jimmy is going to be with my sister and my sister says she will happily take him to a vet to be injected but she won't do it herself so i am scared a non exotics vet may not do it right, are they aware of how to properly inject tortoises or will i have to show my sister who will then have to tell the vet? Thanks for all your help.

M

Maggie Cummings

Paige Lewis said:
Thanks everyone for your responses. Yvonne, the way you have said to inject is exactly how my vet told me to but then he said i could give oral marbocyl as i got scared but now i have no choice so i will do it, the vet is going to show me how to do it thursday, it is just all going to be very difficult though as i go away on the 17th for 12 days and Jimmy is going to be with my sister and my sister says she will happily take him to a vet to be injected but she won't do it herself so i am scared a non exotics vet may not do it right, are they aware of how to properly inject tortoises or will i have to show my sister who will then have to tell the vet? Thanks for all your help.

can't your sister take him to your vet?

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
A domestic pet vet will automatically inject in the hind limbs, but with reptiles if you do it in their front limbs, by the time it gets to the kidneys it is broken down a bit, where as injecting in the hind limbs it could cause damage to the kidneys and could also result in death.:(

I would ask your sister to take him to the exotic vet, much safer,

Try telling a domestic vet that he is injecting in the wrong place, They do not take any notice..
:rolleyes:

Paige Lewis

5 Year Member
Swansea, UK
My sister lives a little over an hour away from where i do and my vet is only around on wednesdays and sometimes thursdays unfortunately as he travels around different parts of wales to work but i do believe there is an exotics vet where my sister lives so may be that would be the best option then. Yes i can imagine it might not go down well telling a vet how to inject. Thanks everyone so much for the advice, i really appreciate it, i love this forum!

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Good luck,
Just remember to get of your vet a written or type letter saying what treatment he has given and how much and when,

That way when your sister goes to the vets near her, the vet will know what treatment the tort is having:D

Status
Not open for further replies.