Inherited an Eastern Box Turtle

InheritedTurtle

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
My kids are thrilled that their former great aunt's turtle will be coming to live with us. This turtle is about 10 years old and was well cared for and loved. I assume we were picked to inherit the turtle because of how much my kids adored him the handful of times we have visited. I've done a good deal of research and feel that I have a good grasp of the day to day requirements, but I have some questions about the habitat that I hope that some of you generous folks might answer for me.

First: This turtle was kept indoors pretty much all its life. Would it be possible to put it in an outdoor enclosure? Or would that be overwhelming for it? It seems like ideally these guys are kept outdoors, but I don't want to give an indoor turtle that has been inside for 10 years a heart attack.

Second: Regarding indoor enclosures. I've sketched out a turtle table idea. A 3' x 3' elevated enclosure built out of wood, lined with acrylic on the inside for water/moisture proofing (I've built a lot of acrylic display boxes).

My question is in regards to humidity/heating requirements. It seem to me that a removable, but breathable (holes) acrylic lid would help hold in moisture and heat better than a mesh screen lid. Is there a reason that I couldn't go that route as long as I kept a humidity gauge and thermometer running in it?

My second question is about the use of heated rocks. I found a handful of pages that say that a heated rock under some of the substrate would be sufficient as long as there was plenty of natural lighting. If I put this design in front of a window, could the combination of sunlight and the heated rock inside the aforementioned acrylic lined housing be sufficient in keeping the temperature safe? Or would a heat lamp still be required?

Thank you for taking the time to answer. Just trying to get my ducks in a row and my environment setup before this surprise visitor arrives this weekend.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
an eastern box turtle will do better in an outside pen in 90% of north America than it will inside , even if it spent it's entire previous life indoors …….. as long as the proper habitat is provided for it's needs ……… i'd not leave it outside for the winter until it has spent an entire spring , summer and fall outdoors in it's permanent habitat , and then i'd provide it with a good spot to hibernate and watch that it acted properly in doing so ……. as far as keeping them indoors , as long as they have access to water they can completely get into and the substrate is always moist to wet , lots of bright full spectrum light , 14 hrs a day , consistent temp gradient , 70-90 degrees …….. I've never kept adults in the house , but I've raised some hatchling indoors , never used a fully enclosed enclosure ……… I've seen them use a heated rock , but much more natural to absorb radiated heat from above …….. regardless their ability to maintain 80-85 degree body temp is important ………

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have both indoor enclosures and outdoor space. I don't hibernate mine and I live in a harsh area so mine do spend a lot of time indoors. I have in the past used homemade greenhouse type enclosures. They work well to keep warmth and humidity in. No to the hot rock. You want gentle overhead heat. I would not put any enclosure in front of a sunny window myself. I find it easier to control the environment when not by a window.