Information please

Bats1965

Location (City and/or State)
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Hi I have a 2yr old male herman..when I go to the tortoise table he is always in his hide. When I get him out he will wander a bit then go hide..he is eating fast on his feet and all Temps are good.He has a bath twice a week to keep hydrated..any ideas anyone??

Central PA
My 2yo tortoise loves her hide so much she spends awhile in there and I know she is happy so I wouldnt be too concerned about that. Some are just shy while others are more brave. Is she kept indoor or outdoor or a mix? When my tort is outside she explores more.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My 2yo tortoise loves her hide so much she spends awhile in there and I know she is happy so I wouldnt be too concerned about that. Some are just shy while others are more brave. Is she kept indoor or outdoor or a mix? When my tort is outside she explores more.
A tortoise that is spending most of its time in its hide isn't always as you say happy. More times than not, something is off. Seeing you are new here and don't have a lot of experience with tortoises, maybe you can post pics of your enclosure and tortoise so we can help make it more pleasant for your tort to not want to hide so much.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hi I have a 2yr old male herman..when I go to the tortoise table he is always in his hide. When I get him out he will wander a bit then go hide..he is eating fast on his feet and all Temps are good.He has a bath twice a week to keep hydrated..any ideas anyone??
What are the actual temps, numbers? You saying they are correct doesn't mean they are if you are following incorrect info.
Post pics of the tort and enclosure and we can help find the possible reason.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Tortoise are scared of aerial attack so will hide... natural instinct. I have an inside vivarium which is enclosed with glass front and an outdoor enclosure with wire top. Speedy wanders around as he is protected. If I take him to the middle of the lawn and let him go he races for cover... and freedom! :) I think you need to get some cover somehow and see if that helps or add hides etc....

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Tortoise are scared of aerial attack so will hide... natural instinct. I have an inside vivarium which is enclosed with glass front and an outdoor enclosure with wire top. Speedy wanders around as he is protected. If I take him to the middle of the lawn and let him go he races for cover... and freedom! :) I think you need to get some cover somehow and see if that helps or add hides etc....
I agree with everything posted.
However, my outdoor tortoises also spend the vast majority of their time inside shelters. But the reason is because it's currently to hot and probably too bright for them.
It's important to make sure that they aren't seeking the hide because something about the enclosure...The lighting, the temperature, the bedding etc isn't causing them stress.
And only then, would I think that it's normal.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
However, my outdoor tortoises also spend the vast majority of their time inside shelters. But the reason is because it's currently to hot and probably too bright for them.
It's important to make sure that they aren't seeking the hide because something about the enclosure...The lighting, the temperature, the bedding etc isn't causing them stress.
Agree lighting can cause burning of the eyes so another reason to hide. Heat and sun also to be checked.

Central PA
mhm