indoor sulcata pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotth42

10 Year Member!
hi there i am in tn and was wondering if it is possible to keep a female sulcata indoors over winter.i know they get big and i heard all the stories but is it possible
i can give it 8 ft wide 12 ft long at most. i would hate to have to give her away because of not being able to keep her due to size she is 8in now and is on a 6ft by 3 ft table and it works fine i let her out around the house for exercise i can go 24ft by 42 ft outside during summer i have heard females don't get as big as males so would it work?

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I guess it could be possible, but I'm not positive. Even though the females may not get as big I can't imagine how you would build something big enough and strong enough to keep her in. I've been thinking about this myself, mine is still young and small but I've been trying to plan for the future.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Yes like Melissa said... it's possible but you'd basically need her in like a cement basement or something... you can read about the troubles of a large sulcate indoors here: http://harpoandfriends.homestead.com/Harpostory.html

And remember, once they get REALLY big, can you even lift her to carry her in and out???

scotth42

10 Year Member!
i have a spare room i was going to convert for her but i didn't know if that would work.that would be the only way it's way to cold here in winter.wish she would stay 8in they really are great friendly torts but i guess you just have to see a full grown female up close.

SULCATACRAZY

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sunny So Cal, USA
He's In TN crazy. I think he's decided to sell her....

I know there is no way I can lift my guy anymore! Just to clean out his house, if he's in there I have to man handle him and slide him out! I cant imagine trying to him out of a basement with stairs!

scotth42

10 Year Member!
SULCATACRAZY said:
He's In TN crazy. I think he's decided to sell her....

I know there is no way I can lift my guy anymore! Just to clean out his house, if he's in there I have to man handle him and slide him out! I cant imagine trying to him out of a basement with stairs!
i might sell her but i don't want to i think i could keep a leopard indoors i have seen pics of full grown females and don't see why it's so impossible but i guess it is I'm on 13 acres but it just gets to cold here i need to keep her inside but she's gonna need space to exercise i think she's already bored on the 6ft table i have here on now.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Kelly I read that link, what an eye opener! That ought to be printed up and handed to those potential new owners at the pet shop!
And to think, I had just told a desperate owner I would take hers a month ago. But she never got back to me. (boy am I glad!!) Plus I just came home with a new RF. Much easier!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
yep someone else posted that link here first, and i had to save it for future use.

i will NEVER succomb to the "oh look at the cute little sully" urge due to that story. NEVER!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
You have 13 acres... build a heated barn or stall for her.. it will cost you in the winter to heat it.. but it can be done...

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
cvalda said:
Yes like Melissa said... it's possible but you'd basically need her in like a cement basement or something... you can read about the troubles of a large sulcate indoors here: http://harpoandfriends.homestead.com/Harpostory.html

And remember, once they get REALLY big, can you even lift her to carry her in and out???

Thank you for putting up the link to the story. It is very informative!!! My sulcata is about 8 months old now and I have also been trying to think of ways to be able to keep him inside during the winter. It's nice to know what to be prepared for.

Status
Not open for further replies.