Indoor Russian Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366774227.965667.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366774255.872791.jpg

Just finished my indoor enclosure, getting my tort on Thursday. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Looks beautiful. What size/age Russian will live in there? What are the dimensions? Do you also have an outdoor enclosure?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Looks very nice!
I would add a smaller (75w?) regular bulb on the second level to warm it and brighten it up.
Otherwise, show us pics of your new tortoise in his new home!

7oasty23

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Looks beautiful. What size/age Russian will live in there? What are the dimensions? Do you also have an outdoor enclosure?

It's about 4' by 4', and the tort is about 4". I'm working on the outdoor enclosure, but I have an enormous german shepard I have to engineer it around, also I live in the Smoky Mountains so the terrain is extremely rocky and uneven, so I might have to borrow a bobcat from a friend to level an area out. I have a huge deck, but it is all covered, and I want him to get some sunlight, so I'm not really sure exactly what I'm going to do. I have a kiddie pool that I'm going to use for now, but I'll have to supervise his outdoor visits until I can get something permanent.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds great.

For your outdoor enclosure, I like to incorporate uneven ground. I use slumpstone block and with just a little flat head shovel and pick work, the blocks will sit nicely. Then all you need is a cover built with 2x4s and some welded wire to keep Mr. GSD at bay.

Anyhow, your enclosure looks really nice. Good luck.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I wish I could provide rocky uneven terrain for mine. That is far superior to a flat patch IMO.

Just use a shovel to dig our a perimeter so your walls can be level.
Your Tort will thank you for the cool diggs ;)

7oasty23

5 Year Member
I actually live in the smoky mountain national park, so I have all woods and huge rocks on the side of a mountain, I'll have to do some serious excavating regardless of where I put it, we also have a lot of bears, some wolves, and bobcats, so he'll probably never stay outside all night, I have an enclosed porch that I have to put my dog in at night, not a very hospitable environment for a tortoise even with a closed top. We also get weird temperature drops at night because of the elevation.

Also is the palm tree I put in the enclosure okay for the tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.