Indoor Redfoot Enclosure Finished! (pics shortly!)

BrandyBacklash

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania, US
Ill start off by saying, i know its not big enough. Its 3 ft by about 6-7 ft. Come spring when the rest of the house warms up (and i can move my dresser of orchids to another room....the rest of the house is 64 degrees, my room is about 80) it will gain an extra 14 inches. Currently hes being let out about my room every day and come spring will be outside every day as well :)
I just had to give him something, he wasnt getting enough humidity in my room (which averages 30-45% because of my geckos).

So anyways, im including step by step sort of pictures. Excuse the messy bedroom.
I got a 6 cube wire storage rack, the kind that you build yourself. It was kmarts Stor floor brand, came with 23 panels.
I used some of the connectors against my wishes, because it kept it rigid. I also used zip ties to keep it extra secure.
I then used a heavy duty tarp way too long so i can expand later after i move the dresser that holds my tropical plants. This took FOREVER. To get it to lay flat in the bottom and relatively smooth up the sides, i also then had to fold it like wrapping a present. Difficult!
I used binder clips to secure as i went and to keep it all up and secure after.
Moved it to its proper place, put tiles in the corners to keep it flat, and used about 3 and a half bricks of coco fiber, half a bag of orchid bark, a box of "frog moss" pillow moss, and some leftover forest moss around the edges and in his hide.
Id like to get a smaller hide in the future (and more than one) but this is what hes used to and he hasnt been in an enclosure for over a year so i wanted to give him a bit of a transition.
The plants in there currently are fake, but will be exchanged for live once the ones im growig get substancial enough. Also my light in the picture arent where they are now, that was just to get the hide part warmed before bed. I just didnt get pics of that this morning haha

I put Paco in last night, he seemed confused. As he was this morning when he woke up and came out for breakfast. But hes eating (and mad that im taking pics while hes eating haha) i hope he explores today and loves it!!

(Please hold for pics....phones not uploading)

PICTURES! Sorry, I keep forgetting that i can post text from my phone but not photos. I already had all the above typed up and didnt want to re-type =P

Attachments

• CAM04707.jpg
    CAM04707.jpg
    690.8 KB · Views: 202
  • CAM04707.jpg
    CAM04707.jpg
    690.8 KB · Views: 147
  • CAM04708.jpg
    CAM04708.jpg
    627.5 KB · Views: 163
  • CAM04749.jpg
    CAM04749.jpg
    610.5 KB · Views: 152
  • CAM04750.jpg
    CAM04750.jpg
    587.3 KB · Views: 154
  • CAM04751.jpg
    CAM04751.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 172
  • CAM04753.jpg
    CAM04753.jpg
    683.1 KB · Views: 190
  • CAM04754.jpg
    CAM04754.jpg
    694.1 KB · Views: 167
  • CAM04755.jpg
    CAM04755.jpg
    642.2 KB · Views: 166
  • CAM04756.jpg
    CAM04756.jpg
    617 KB · Views: 173

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Wow, Brandy that is thinking outside the box! I love it ! How is the humidity with the open top . I like the humid hide. I have the old registers too. I love great for putting the reptiles close by . The heat is not as drying as the forced air vents.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nice! At first I was worried you were about to ruin your pretty hardwood floors. I can see you've put a lot of thought into the habitat.

BrandyBacklash

Pennsylvania, US
TortsNTurtles said:
Wow, Brandy that is thinking outside the box! I love it ! How is the humidity with the open top . I like the humid hide. I have the old registers too. I love great for putting the reptiles close by . The heat is not as drying as the forced air vents.

Thanks! Oh definitely, i also run a space heater though for my crested, but how often i mist them counter balances. My room gets humid as is. I dont have it pictured but the back half where the hide is, about a quarter of that has a clear shower liner over top, and then on the other end about another quarter is the same. I cover most of it over night with space for the heat bulb. So far so good. The pics of the whole thing were last night.before anything got covered.

Yvonne G said:
Nice! At first I was worried you were about to ruin your pretty hardwood floors. I can see you've put a lot of thought into the habitat.

Haha they arent that pretty to begin with, a lot of wear and some paint splatters fron the previous owners. Plus pacos been pooing everywhere for the last two or three months, however daily/weekly vinegar moppings seemed to make the wood a bit more vibrant.
Oh yes. I wanted something that i could fit in my room, but also thats not permanent. I still live at home and want to be able to take it with me when i leave. But i also wanted it easy to extend. I saw some other people use these cubes and figured if i use a tarp its a bit more flexible while still being waterproof and he cant see out or get caught. It was my cheapest, most accesible route.
Also, he must be comfy and love it, i just caught him sprawled out basking in full "melt mode"!! Hes never done that, im so glad hes off the hard floor finally. Roaming worked while it lasted, but this had to happen once i landed on my best plan.