Indoor Humidifier setup for sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, Va
Before anybody gets there feathers ruffled, I will be taking pictures and posting in this thread as soon as possible.

When livingstone got its tortoise table upgrade and went from being on a 3ftx3ft table to a 4ftx8ft table I realized it would take alot more effort to keep the humidity at the correct level. For the last year+ I have struggled to keep it at 40-50% humidity during the day (A/C is to blame), sometimes dipping into the 30% range and arond 60% at night.

Its no easy task keeping the coir damp, literally it evaporated under the MVB's in hours, making the rewetting cycle a daily chore. I was failing, and there were visible signs that it was having a negative impact on livingstone, she began reverse pyramiding. Reverse pyramiding can be described as a thickening of the ridge between the plates of the carapace. So where the fresh growth was occuring there was a speed hump forming.

I decided enough was enough, I went out and purchased a cool mist humidifier from the local pharmacy and a digital timer from Home Depot. the timer now triggers the humidifier from 9-9:30am, 11-11:30am, 1-1:30pm, and 3-3:30pm. The humidity never drops below 60% daily, I am still wetting the substrate but only once every 3 days instead of daily.

Its taken livingstone about 2 weeks of acclimation to get used to the "fog" of humidity that develops. It still perturbs livingstone, and sometimes she gets up and goes and sits on top of her house until the humidifier shuts off.

If anybody else has an indoor sully setup with a humidifier please post up.

Thanks.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Ok TFO,

Thank you all for you patience... Here are the photos.

This is the humidifier on the floor, you can see the rubber adapter hose connecting the pcv pipe to the humidifier.

humidifier.jpg

This is the top of the pvc pipe, it dumps directly down into the furthest corner using an automotive coolant hose (new of course, never had coolant in it).

foghead.jpg

This is the effect, the humidifier comes on in intervals for 30 minutes.

liv1fog81611.jpg

This is the inhabitant, probably not thrilled but its better for the health and growth.

liv2fog81611.jpg

livfog81611.jpg

It does remind me of a heavy metal concert with the fog machine turned up on high.

I would recommend this to anybody who wants to combat the dry air inside a house. You can limit the amount of fog produced by making the outlet smaller or increasing the number of outlets. I might add to this setup, If I do I will update the thread.

Breakdown of cost:
1 humidifier from Walgreens $45.00
1 4ft section of PVC pipe $6.00
1 automotive radiator hose $18.98
2 misc zip ties 50c

Thanks for looking, and again it is possible to overcome all the obstacles of keeping one of these torts indoors... for how much longer I dont know.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Wow, thank's for posting!! Really great idea and execution. I have often thought about doing what you described ( my plan was much more elementary, though). I am worried it would lower my temp's too much. When it is on, does it lower your ambient temp's? If so by how much and how long does it take for the temp's to increase again?

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Looks like it works great, I will have to try this when I build a table. Like the PVC idea you could easily just attach some extra pipe to create extra outlets and even distribution. I to was wondering about the temps, it being a cool mist vs. a warm mist, does it lower them a lot?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Thats pretty cool, and in the photo's it looks like livingstone likes it. we just got a repti fogger to help with the humidity in our box turtle enclosure and when we first hooked it up the enclosure looked like yours lol, but the humidity went from 55 to 98. We have a little work to get it right where we want it.

Nice set up and photo's and thanks for sharing the price for everything...

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
CtTortoiseMom said:
I am worried it would lower my temp's too much. When it is on, does it lower your ambient temp's? If so by how much and how long does it take for the temp's to increase again?

ticothetort2 said:
I to was wondering about the temps, it being a cool mist vs. a warm mist, does it lower them a lot?

I have the humidifier on a timer, it comes on for 30 minute intervals at 9am, 11am, 1pm, and 3pm. It doesn't lower the temperature much, about 10 degrees. Livingstone doesn't seem to mind. It is a cool mist humidifier. I equate the humidifier being on to the sun going behind a cloud, it happens in nature and they survive just fine.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Impressive setup! I've been leery of cool mists, but the way you have it setup, with the timer and all, it looks very effective.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Does Livingstone breathe fire or spit up blood? Oh! Sorry! That's Gene Simmons! :p

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Looks great. Livingstone doesn't look too happy about it but it'll be good for him!

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
LivingStone, that is an awesome setup you have their! That is my exact plan for my tortoise table but i was going to use a zoomed repti fogger, now that i have see what you have done i may just go that route. That is the walgreens Brand humidifier right? is their a reason you used the walgreens one over the zoomed brand? Thanks! i always love livingstone updates!

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Zoomed is more expensive, and I thought this route would be more effective. This is also easier to fill.

Balboa said:
Impressive setup! I've been leery of cool mists, but the way you have it setup, with the timer and all, it looks very effective.

Thank you

DeanS said:
Does Livingstone breathe fire or spit up blood? Oh! Sorry! That's Gene Simmons! :p

Lol, Dean thats funny.

SulcataSquirt said:
LivingStone, that is an awesome setup you have their! That is my exact plan for my tortoise table but i was going to use a zoomed repti fogger, now that i have see what you have done i may just go that route. That is the walgreens Brand humidifier right? is their a reason you used the walgreens one over the zoomed brand? Thanks! i always love livingstone updates!

Thank you.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I'm definitely going to pull a copy-cat and replicate this set up! I was worried about not having enough humidity in the baby's enclosures this winter, due to the fact that I have baseboard heat and a pellet stove, but this could be the answer to my prayers! Thanks for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.