Indoor for the upcoming rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
I did a makeshift enclosure in the garage for my sulcata, Ralph. We are "supposed" to get about 8 inches of rain with very high winds here in San Diego in the next week, so we put him in the garage. Our backyard floods and gets very cold. My family and I have been really sick and weren't able to start the indoor enclosure project we've been wanting to start. This is only for the upcoming rain/bad weather week we are supposed to have.

For now, we have a rubbermaid tub tipped on it's side, partially covered. There is a red heat lamp taped to the rubbermaid tub so it won't fall off. Timothy Hay is the only substrate in the tub. I'm considering bringing his dogloo in instead of the tub, but it's awkward to lift and get in the garage. Still a possibility, though.

We have that laying on astroturf. He has a food slate and a small water dish. Over the enclosure we have his basking lamp.

Comments, concerns, criticisms?

11710ralphw1.jpg

11710ralphw2.jpg

11710ralphw3.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, since its only temporary, I think it'll do. The only concern would be that the heat light is pretty close to his carapace. They sometimes don't feel that they are burning, and don't move away.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
[']
I did a makeshift enclosure in the garage for my sulcata, Ralph. We are "supposed" to get about 8 inches of rain with very high winds here in San Diego in the next week, so we put him in the garage. Our backyard floods and gets very cold. My family and I have been really sick and weren't able to start the indoor enclosure project we've been wanting to start. This is only for the upcoming rain/bad weather week we are supposed to have.

For now, we have a rubbermaid tub tipped on it's side, partially covered. There is a red heat lamp taped to the rubbermaid tub so it won't fall off. Timothy Hay is the only substrate in the tub. I'm considering bringing his dogloo in instead of the tub, but it's awkward to lift and get in the garage. Still a possibility, though.

We have that laying on astroturf. He has a food slate and a small water dish. Over the enclosure we have his basking lamp.

Comments, concerns, criticisms?

[/quote]

Heavy winds - No doubt, the Jets just blew thru SD an hour ago!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As usual, I agree with Yvonne. I like to suspend my lamps by the cord from over head. It makes it very easy to raise or lower it and I feel its much more secure than those clamps. Also, I'd bring the dogloo in. He's used to it, so it will feel and smell more familiar, secure and comfortable for him.

Have you considered a pig blanket. I like the Kane Heat Mats, but there are other ones available too. They make them in a wide range of sizes to fit any tortoise or enclosure. I put mine on one of those new reptile thermostats so they are only on when they ought to be.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
I'll try to raise the clamp lamp. I didn't realize the picture was actually misleading. It's about 5+ inches away from him.

The hay is directly from his dogloo. The tub is what we used inside the house for low night time temps, so it does have his "scent" on it. But I really would prefer his dogloo. (my husband is just a bit stubborn in moving it only for a week). I'm really leaning towards bringing it in (and I'm 98% certain it will be moved into the garage in the morning).

We've considered the pig blankets, but we'd only use it MAYBE two weeks out of the year, so we haven't gotten one. We are also going to be upgrading his outdoor enclosure and getting rid of the dogloo and getting a rubbermaid shed. We will have A LOT more options with that.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for the comments and suggestions. Keep them coming! I'm always learning. :)

Oh and btw, I don't like football and don't watch the games so I could care less about who wins. I say it serves them right for getting too cocky! hehehehehe. I do like to rub it in to my family who are football fans, though. hehehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.