Indoor enclosure seeds sprouting

Status
Not open for further replies.

knighterson

5 Year Member
That's awesome! I just got the small seed pack to try out. Haven't planted it yet, but that's great.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Too bad it always takes longer to grow it, then for them to eat it. Doing good there!

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Modesto (Northern) California
knighterson said:
That's awesome! I just got the small seed pack to try out. Haven't planted it yet, but that's great.

That's what this is. The lil $5 pkt. I only put a little in to try it out. If he eats it, it'll be a regular in his indoor enclosure. That stuff grows great. Just keep it moist. Keep me posted.

Thanks Jacqui & mct!!

knighterson

5 Year Member
jpmcclure said:
That's what this is. The lil $5 pkt. I only put a little in to try it out. If he eats it, it'll be a regular in his indoor enclosure. That stuff grows great. Just keep it moist. Keep me posted.

Thanks Jacqui & mct!!

That's good to know, I plan on planting mine at the end of this month. My question is will he actually eat it? Mines picky, when I bought him they had iceberg, romaine, dry zoomed grassland pellets, and some kind of legume in the enclosure. It's been like pulling teeth to get him to eat what he should. He's not a huge grazer, but I'm hoping there will be something in this packet that he likes. Right now he eats a variety of greens- turnip, collard, chard, kale, endive and I chop up grass and mix it in. He gets oputunia (?) cactus too. I give him soaked mazuri and zoomed grassland soaked about twice a week and always mixed in with stuff he likes. He LOVES carrots so I will usually shred some with the mazuri, but he abhors the stuff so even with carrots he does his best to eat around it. He also doesn't like dandelion greens. I'm really interested to see if the seed packets work, let me know how yours likes it!

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
I'll keep y'all posted on if/when he eats it. He eats the grass outside so I'm hoping he'll eat in in his enclosure too. And btw its grown more since this morning. Lol

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
jpmcclure said:
View attachment 28312

I only planted it a couple days ago!! Woo hoo!! Sulcatafood.com sulcata tortoise seed mix.

beautiful shell. I've been wanting to get that grass too, but I'm afraid my piggy will eat all the little sprouts before they can grow. I'd have to grow it outside his table then transplant it.

Phantom9

5 Year Member
Elverta, CA (Just outside of Sacramento)
My sulcata loved this stuff I planted it in the outside enclosure and they ate it up. Bear in mind the plants for me didn't seem to reseed so they only lasted a few months. I mixed the seed with the one from Carolina pet supply. Not sure which one has crimson clover in it but be warned that stuff might be the reason mine died out. It seemed like it may have sucked the water from the other plants and it didn't seem like my tort liked the plant that much but it did give alot of shade.

Annaliisas

5 Year Member
I got the larger packet of seed from sulcatafood.com., and I grew it in an old fire pit saucer, (cleaned well) that is about three feet across. The seeds grew really well and I put Wally's greens on top of the grass and he just eats the greens. I sit outside and read while he eats and watch him until he is done. When he is done he starts to walk around and check out the edges. He never really eats the grasses. He is getting lots of different greens, dandelion, chard, green and red leaf, baby greens, carrots, zucchini and squash, some pumpkin, and yes, Tom, some Mazuri at every meal. But he won't eat the grass or the clover. I didn't put him into the grass until it was thick and well established. Suggestions?

Phantom9 said:
My sulcata loved this stuff I planted it in the outside enclosure and they ate it up. Bear in mind the plants for me didn't seem to reseed so they only lasted a few months. I mixed the seed with the one from Carolina pet supply. Not sure which one has crimson clover in it but be warned that stuff might be the reason mine died out. It seemed like it may have sucked the water from the other plants and it didn't seem like my tort liked the plant that much but it did give alot of shade.

No crimson clover in the sulcatafood.com mix. Must be the other one. Just the little green clover.

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Thor grazes on the grass and clover outside. He won't eat it in his enclosure if I pick it and cut it up. Maybe he associates it with being outside. who knows?

image-2440892783.png

Day 2 since sprouting yesterday. He hasn't eaten any yet but if he doesn't, it just looks great in his enclosure. Maybe I need to invest in a Barbie lawn mower. Lol

Umm. Sorry the pic is upside down. But you get the gist. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.