Indoor cellar enclosure for sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

nearpass

10 Year Member!
I originally posted this as an update to my Craig's list rescue post, here http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-65074.html but it's gotten lost in the shuffle. I'd love some feedback on what I have going on, and maybe spark some interest from others in my position in the NE, so have created this new thread. Mods, if this is a no-no, please move, delete or change.

Update on Lump, as we have named him (pretty sure now it's a he), because that's all he was his first week here. Didn't eat, didn't move, just sat in the 'house' end of the Zoomed box. Hauled him out under the basking light every day, for the first week he just headed back into the box. Finally a week ago, I got him to eat some romaine, and he started heading to the basking light himself. I thinks he's warmer now than he's ever been, as his only light/heat before was a pretty low wattage spiral fluorescent. I think the Zoomed box is obviously way too small for him, and he has nothing to move for, but that will hopefully change soon.

But, he also developed a bit of an occasional nose bubble, so he's now got a night time CHE, even though he's in the herp room, which never gets much cooler than 68 at night, and is pretty humid from the water turtles. I suspect a chill and the stress of moving in the dead of winter is a contributing factor, but he's gotten more active, and is now eating spring mix with some Zoomed grassland and mazuri sprinkled in, and looks for the food in the morning and afternoon. The nose bubbles have not gotten worse, and he's eating better and better.

I have an enclosure in the cellar pretty well finished except for the final touches, but probably will not put him down there until he's eating better food consistently and the wet nose clears, because that will be more stress again.

Here's the enclosure. Right now it's 4 x 6 feet, but the cellar is very big, so I will be adding 'rooms' as he grows. The 'floor' is some linoleum I got for free from the local Mom and Pop installer and I made brackets for the CHEs which are screwed to the walls of the pen, as I feel clamp lamps are dangerous. The fluorescent is actually a grow light with a stand which fits just outside the pen, which works really well. I have another CHE and basking light which will be there, but am using them on him right now.

8511853130_eb25a7bea4.jpg

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
It sounds like he has a great home with you. His enclosure needs a heated hide. I have three basement enclosures and I used wood to make my Sulcata's hide and cut a hole in the top of it and put a CHE in the hole but not too close and I use the wire cage for my hides not the dome. I wouldn't let his temps go below 80 while he is sick. It sounds like he has turned the corner and it getting better. The hide will help him feel less stress and more secure while he sleeps and will be toasty warm. Best of luck and post pics when it is done :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with the hide. Also, low temps and higher humidity will make a very sick or dead tortoise. Have you read Toms threads below in my post? If not, please read them. Temps 80 all over day and night, basking 95-100, humidity 80% . While he still has a runny nose, keep temps at 85.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
It's perfect right now for my russian but she wouldn't leave the basking corner I have no sulcata knowledge to share though sorry.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
bigger the better.. a tort in that condition needs to excercise and stay warm.. bot get too chilled, and get as much sunshine as possible.

rideburton87

5 Year Member
NW burbs, Illinois
Thats awesome I'm glad you got him and gave him a great home, was definately a good looking tort I would have loved to own myself

Status
Not open for further replies.