Indian stars

qwerty145

I am a first time owner and just got 2 indian star tortoises, they were smaller than I expected so their tortoise table is perhaps too big. Should I block off part of it ? Or will they learn where to get heat at night and as well as during the day?

Also what is an acceptable amount of time to leave them alone for holidays etc ? I have set everything up on timers and have a water bowl with a water reservoir which automatically refills, I also have a lot of food in their enclosure, dried flowers etc. I am in the process of growing some trays of wild plants for a constant fresh food source. Taking all this in account would it be possible to leave them for a week ? Or should I take them with me if I go away ? Which would disturb them less ? I want to be a responsible owner so whatever is best for them i will do. I have prepared their set up so I don't have to intervene too much especially as they get used to their surroundings as i don't want to stress them. They do not enjoy being bathed, is this something I must do or can I get away without doing it ? Will they learn where their water source is ?

20150718_173520.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Don't take them with you, but have someone check in on them. Yes, you should soak them every day. It's more important with little ones. They will get used to it.
@Tom can help you with humidty and temps,

qwerty145

Ah ok great, because the tortoise table is big and they're tiny I currently have a heat mat for night time and a UV and basking light for the days. Currently both on timers with the basking light positioned to a distance which corresponds with around 32 Celsius, I have also purchased an infrared light which I'll set up next to the day light to come on at night, they seem to get a bit lost at night so I wanted to ensure they are warm enough but the table is fairly big and open top so they won't overheat. I haven't got a sprayer yet to spray the place to keep up the humidity so I've just been flicking water everywhere. I think I'm doing everything right but I'm worried about drinking as i haven't seen them drink or poo yet and I've had them for 4 days. I seem to be constantly worrying that they're ok I really don't want to kill them lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Short version:
1. Open topped tables will not hold in the heat and humidity you need. You need a closed chamber.
2. Yes you need to soak them every day. The breeder should have been doing this. Their survival may depend on it. They will get used to it.
3. Infrared or colored bulbs are no good. Instead use a CHE set on a thermostat.
4. Tortoises should not be housed in pairs. There is always a winner and a loser and the loser suffers for it. The presence of the other tortoise does this even if there is not overt obvious aggression.
5. Tortoises need very shallow bowls that are large enough with low sides for them to clamber in and out of. They soil the water when they do this, so a self-refilling bowl is not what is needed. They needed their water changed at least daily. Terra cotta plant saucers work best.
6. I would not use a heat mat for tortoises. I've seen too many problems with them.

Please read these and then come back with more questions:

This one is written for leopards and sulcatas, but I house and care for my stars identically:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Taking baby stars on the road will seriously stress them. I would not do this. A week is too long to be gone with no care for babies. You need to find or hire someone to care for them daily. Too much can go wrong over a period of days and baby stars need more TLC than some other species.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello there, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your stars.
Stars are very beautiful torts, but I understand they get stressed easily and should not travel unless absolutely necessary.
Try to find a sitter that you can trust.

qwerty145

Thanks for your help, I have another question. How hot should the warm area be ? I just bought a liquid crystal thermometer and that said it was 40 Celsius, I was very surprised as vivarium is open top, I adjusted the height of the basking light and the thermometer is now saying 38 Celsius, is this still too warm ? That might explain why they don't really like to hang out in that area for too long, really they should be basking there shouldn't they.

Last edited:

mijojr

South Dakota
I believe the higher temp should be good. They cant regulate their own heat, so it is very different from us. Also, covering the enclosure should be a priority. They really need that humidity. It will also save on heat costs.

Ed mitch

I would make a humid area for them as well, coconut fibre is good for this.