Indian star tortoise

georgeandbessy

Hi my friends uncle has a breeding trio of Indian star tortoises. He is moving to Ireland so had to get rid of them in the next few weeks. He has been trying to sell them for ages but hasn't had any luck. I was wondering if I should take them and then try and find them a home. I just wondered what they would need and how they would need to live.

georgeandbessy

Hi my friends uncle has a breeding trio of Indian star tortoises. He is moving to Ireland so had to get rid of them in the next few weeks. He has been trying to sell them for ages but hasn't had any luck. I was wondering if I should take them and then try and find them a home. I just wondered what they would need and how they would need to live.
Please help

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Please help

To give suggestions we would really need to know where you are located geographically, as weather conditions dictate what must be provided.

Indian Stars are cared for almost identically to leopard tortoises and Sulcatas. To get the best idea and guide on care, go to the Sulcata section of the forum and read the posts "pinned" to the top of the sections. (IF you are on computer - this post is in the Burmese and Indian star section. If you look at the menu bar on top of the page you will now see African, Madagascan, Southeast Asian, and Turtle. Click on African, and select Sulcata. If you are on the mobile app on a smart phone, click on the menu icon on the upper left, select Browse - Species Specific - African - Sulcata.)

The information there will give you the best idea of how to raise and keep Indian Stars. For a trio of adults, you would really want an indoor enclosure of 3 ft x 8 ft. An outdoor pen would be optimal, but temperatures must be carefully watched and accounted for in providing for them.

Read the info and come back with questions. Lots of people here who successfully work with and breed Stars.

Also give some info on the tortoises. Unless priced unrealistically, A breeding trio of Indian Stars should be quite attractive to many esperienced keepers here. Size, Age, 1 male 2 females?? Have they laid fertile clutches, etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is your care info: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

They need to be in a large closed chamber and kept warm day and night. Stars like it hot, and cool temps often give them a respiratory infection, especially when under the stress of moving. The higher heat also requires you to insure good hydration. Frequent soaks are recommended in addition to a proper water dish.

georgeandbessy

To give suggestions we would really need to know where you are located geographically, as weather conditions dictate what must be provided.

Indian Stars are cared for almost identically to leopard tortoises and Sulcatas. To get the best idea and guide on care, go to the Sulcata section of the forum and read the posts "pinned" to the top of the sections. (IF you are on computer - this post is in the Burmese and Indian star section. If you look at the menu bar on top of the page you will now see African, Madagascan, Southeast Asian, and Turtle. Click on African, and select Sulcata. If you are on the mobile app on a smart phone, click on the menu icon on the upper left, select Browse - Species Specific - African - Sulcata.)

The information there will give you the best idea of how to raise and keep Indian Stars. For a trio of adults, you would really want an indoor enclosure of 3 ft x 8 ft. An outdoor pen would be optimal, but temperatures must be carefully watched and accounted for in providing for them.

Read the info and come back with questions. Lots of people here who successfully work with and breed Stars.

Also give some info on the tortoises. Unless priced unrealistically, A breeding trio of Indian Stars should be quite attractive to many esperienced keepers here. Size, Age, 1 male 2 females?? Have they laid fertile clutches, etc.
They are 20 years old and lay 15 eggs a year. 1 male 2 females. I live in northern England :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum.:tort:

I totally agree with what Mark said, therefore I won't repeat what he said! :D

Kchandiwala

Really need help please
Hello,
My indian star tortoise has sudenly brought his urine pipe or some something out today. It was purple in colour n too big. M nt sure if it is his penis or something but it was so out of his body that he stood on it wit all four legs erect straight. That thing was holding all his body weight. Is it normal or is he suffering frm sm disease like a stone or something? I put him in water and he gradually took it back in. Can someone advise whats wrong. Also this seller told us that this one is a female as her plastron is flat. So m a little confuse if it is he or she. A point to note is while this was happening he was making this hiss kind of sound. Plz advise.
Thanks you so much

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Really need help please
Hello,
My indian star tortoise has sudenly brought his urine pipe or some something out today. It was purple in colour n too big. M nt sure if it is his penis or something but it was so out of his body that he stood on it wit all four legs erect straight. That thing was holding all his body weight. Is it normal or is he suffering frm sm disease like a stone or something? I put him in water and he gradually took it back in. Can someone advise whats wrong. Also this seller told us that this one is a female as her plastron is flat. So m a little confuse if it is he or she. A point to note is while this was happening he was making this hiss kind of sound. Plz advise.
Thanks you so much

That sounds like a male. I would do a quick search online so that you can see what a tortoises penis looks like. That way you have something to compare it to.

Kchandiwala

Thank you for this speedy reply. I am jst researching through web all over to see if its normal or he needs medical attention. He's ok now n running on my bed as of now :)
But i jst dont want to be neglecting anythng you knw. I love them