Indian Star Tortoise Possible stuck egg(s)?

Lrodmyre

Location (City and/or State)
Lindstrom, MN
Hi All,

I have had my male and female Indian Stars since January of 2020. I have rescued turtles for many, many years. These were my first tortoises. My female tortoise laid her first set of 6 eggs on March 12, 2021. She then laid her second set of 6 eggs on February 12, 2022. She laid her third set of eggs on December 12, 2022. She laid 5 eggs.

Okay, this is where I'm concerned. All of a sudden on Sunday, February 5th, 2023 (this last week), she started pacing again like she would before she lays eggs. On Tuesday night, she finally dug her hole, and in the course of about 3 hours, filled it in and walked away. I took her out and soaked her while I went to dig up more eggs. There were none. That's right, none. I tore about the whole egg laying section. There were none.

Now, my concern is she hasn't pooped yet since that episode. I have been soaking her twice a day for at least an hour, and then when I put her back in her vivarium, she tends to go over to her water tray (plastic terracotta 20" tray) and continue to soak. Then she goes to the corner and sleeps. She is eating. I feed her all the veggies, alfalfa leaves, strawberry leaves, plantain leaves, some spring mix once in a while, red clover leaves, dandelions, mustard leaves, kale, etc. They do get more variety in the summer. I give her Mazuri tortoise diet once a week. Yesterday I gave it to her, but really wet it down. I usually give them prickley pears, but only in the summer. I live in MN and to get them mailed, I'm afraid they would be frozen at this time of year. She is usually very regular about pooping. I soak them every other day, and unless she has eggs, she always poops in the water. Like I said, she is eating. I am concerned about her soaking in her tray so much. She does that when she has eggs, and she drinks alot when she has eggs. Actually, that is one of the telltale signs that she has eggs is she stops pooping. When she had eggs in December, she weighed 2,550 grams. After those eggs were laid, she weighed 2,335 grams. She currently weighs 2,493 grams as of today. She is not walking around like she needs to lay eggs.

I'm wondering if it would be okay to take her to the vet and get an xray? I know it will stress her out, but could she have a stuck egg or eggs? I've never seen a turtle or tortoise dig a hole, and take the time to cover it without eggs in it. I watched hundreds of turtles laying eggs, and never had one walk away after burying them without eggs being in the hole. I've seen many turtles start a hole and walk away, but they never cover it. She does that when she does her "test" holes. But this time she took the time to cover them, but no eggs.

Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry so long. Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its fairly normal for them to do this. I had two tortoises do this last week. Out of all of my females, I see this about 4-6 times a year.

There is no harm in getting an x-ray to ease your mind, and make sure all is good.

Opuntia pads will last for months and months as long as they are open to the air and not refrigerated. You can order a bunch in early fall and they should easily last all winter as long as they aren't stuffed in a box or bag with no air. I leave mine sitting in the breezeway and forget about them for months on end sometimes. They are still good a year later.

Lrodmyre

Lindstrom, MN
Oh, Tom, THANK YOU! I'm a worrier so I thought something was wrong. She's never done it before. Wow, that is interesting. That's why I love reptiles! Always learning. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Nice to know about the optunia pads. I had one growing for a few years, but got too big. I am going to start another one this year. It's nice to just rip one off and give to them. We are going to have about a week and a half of abnormal warm weather, so I ordered some today. Hopefully they will come while we have this freaky warm streak!

I don't want to bother you anymore, but why do you think they do this?

Oh, what a relief! Thanks again!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't want to bother you anymore, but why do you think they do this?
Bother??? This is a tortoise forum!!! Aren't we all here to talk tortoises? :D

I can only speculate, and there may be multiple reasons. Tortoises operate largely on instinct. When those hormones kick in and tell them what to do, they usually don't argue. Something told your tortoise it was time to lay again, even though it wasn't time. It is also possible that in the wild, a predator may be confused or distracted by a "phantom nest" and not find the older actual nest.