indian star tortoise keeper need help (sleeps a lot, poor appetite)

lord hesho

Location (City and/or State)
losiiwciw
hi i am relatively new to turtle keeping I have 1 Indian star which i think 4-5 months old i need help as it only sleeps and i have wake it up to feed it it only eats cucumbers i have tried lettuce and a lot of other greens pls help. and do i have to leave him water or something

Fraudhawk

Kuwait
hi i am relatively new to turtle keeping I have 1 Indian star which i think 4-5 months old i need help as it only sleeps and i have wake it up to feed it it only eats cucumbers i have tried lettuce and a lot of other greens pls help. and do i have to leave him water or something
They sleep for a LOONG time so waking them up every time to eat is bad. Cucumber is mostly water so not good for nutrition. Maybe try putting lettuce out for a while and when he gets hungry he'll eat it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need to change the diet ASAP
What are the temps?
Basking temp?
All over day temp?
Night temps?
Humidity?
Substrate?
Table or closed chamber enclosure?
We can't help with the little bit of info you gave.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi. Please try to answer the questions Wellington is asking, if you are interested in keeping your tortoise alive. We can only help you if we get that information. Anyone new to this forum who immediately starts advising you when they don't have enough information from you to do so, should wait for that information to come from you, and wait for our experienced members to offer their help first.

lord hesho

losiiwciw
You need to change the diet ASAP
What are the temps?
Basking temp?
All over day temp?
Night temps?
Humidity?
Substrate?
Table or closed chamber enclosure?
We can't help with the little bit of info you gave.
ok
the regular temp is between 24-25 c
basking i have turtle lamp in a spot the temp in that is around 32-35 c
mostly 25c
in the night it gets cold it can reach 20-19 c
humidity i haven't checked
substrate actually i could not find any person selling sand around me so i am using a piece of smooth wood extra smooth so no splinters polished as well it is easy to clean to
i have tried lettuce mixed with cucumber but it eats the cucumber only i will put a few pics to help

Attachments

• 20231203_105651.jpg
    20231203_105651.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20231203_105705.jpg
    20231203_105705.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20231203_105710.jpg
    20231203_105710.jpg
    841.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20231203_105712.jpg
    20231203_105712.jpg
    969.6 KB · Views: 4

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
1. Temperatures at day and night should be 28C (no less than 27C) even at night.
2. Basking spot should be 33-35C.
3. Humidity should be 80-85%.

Temperatures might influence his appetite and overall activity.

Daily soaks in a small amount of water (31-33C) for 30 minutes at least will greatly help him with rehydration.

You need to keep him in a "closed" type enclosure (vivairum) to maintain humidity and temperature. If you have a tortoise table - the easiest thing is to make a greenhouse tent over it.

Do not use sand for substrate. Plain wood is a bad option too. Good substrates are: orchid (fir) bark, coco coir, cypress mulch.

Please check this thread, where details on correct feeding and housing is given:

You have to do changes quickly, do not put your tortoise life at risk. Don't hesitate to ask more questions.

lord hesho

losiiwciw
Hello!
1. Temperatures at day and night should be 28C (no less than 27C) even at night.

Daily soaks in a small amount of water (31-33C) for 30 minutes at least will greatly help him with rehydration.

You need to keep him in a "closed" type enclosure (vivairum) to maintain humidity and temperature. If you have a tortoise table - the easiest thing is to make a greenhouse tent over it.

Do not use sand for substrate. Plain wood is a bad option too. Good substrates are: orchid (fir) bark, coco coir, cypress mulch.

Please check this thread, where details on correct feeding and housing is given:

You have to do changes quickly, do not put your tortoise life at risk. Don't hesitate to ask more questions
ok it may take me some time to get the substrates though i should get coco coir easily any advice on how to feed it and should i put it in the sun. thanks

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
If can get coco coir - that's fine (not coco husks and not coco fiber!). Line the bottom of the enclosure with a shower curtain or other water-proof film (to prevent wood from rot), put coco coir, then tramp slightly with you hand. You don't need all three substrates, any of them is fine (bark is the best, because it's not messy).

Sunlight or UVB lamp (only T5 HO type!) is *necessary* for tortoise health. You can get your tortoise out for a half an hour around midday, 3-4 times a week and that should be enough. It's necessary to have safe dedicated space outside to let it roam with some shade. And you need to supervise it closely for the first time - to avoid it freezing or overheating. Keep in mind, that glass and plastic filter out UVB.

Feed it every day: put food (about tortoise shell size) in a shallow saucer and leave it for a whole day. Also, provide fresh water daily (same, for the whole day) for drinking and bathing. Shallow terracota saucers, sunken in substrate work best for that.

Since it used to eat cucumbers only - grate some cucumber (or chop them in very small pieces), and add a little of other greens. Gradually increase amount of greens daily. With proper temperatures and hydration this should work.

Please, read the link I've posted above - there is a lot of information on correct tortoise care there.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When you soak it must be warm water. If it's cold outside, lower than enclosure required temps then he can not go outside
Read the link given to you and make all suggested changes ASAP!

lord hesho

losiiwciw
a
Hello!

You have to do changes quickly, do not put your tortoise life at risk. Don't hesitate to ask more questions.
and any estimate on how old it is
If can get coco coir - that's fine (not coco husks and not coco fiber!). Line the bottom of the enclosure with a shower curtain or other water-proof film (to prevent wood from rot), put coco coir, then tramp slightly with you hand. You don't need all three substrates, any of them is fine (bark is the best, because it's not messy).

Sunlight or UVB lamp (only T5 HO type!) is *necessary* for tortoise health. You can get your tortoise out for a half an hour around midday, 3-4 times a week and that should be enough. It's necessary to have safe dedicated space outside to let it roam with some shade. And you need to supervise it closely for the first time - to avoid it freezing or overheating. Keep in mind, that glass and plastic filter out UVB.

Feed it every day: put food (about tortoise shell size) in a shallow saucer and leave it for a whole day. Also, provide fresh water daily (same, for the whole day) for drinking and bathing. Shallow terracota saucers, sunken in substrate work best for that.

Since it used to eat cucumbers only - grate some cucumber (or chop them in very small pieces), and add a little of other greens. Gradually increase amount of greens daily. With proper temperatures and hydration this should work.

Please, read the link I've posted above - there is a lot of information on correct tortoise care there.
thx

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Please keep us updated on your progress! We want to see the little tortoise thrive under your improved care! Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They sleep for a LOONG time so waking them up every time to eat is bad. Cucumber is mostly water so not good for nutrition. Maybe try putting lettuce out for a while and when he gets hungry he'll eat it.
Lettuce is mostly water and not good either. They do sleep a lot as little ones, but, yes, they should be woken up, given a warm water soak, then fed, good healthy foods, not just cucumber and lettuce.

lord hesho

losiiwciw
Lettuce is mostly water and not good either. They do sleep a lot as little ones, but, yes, they should be woken up, given a warm water soak, then fed, good healthy foods, not just cucumber and lettuce.
recommend some foods pls and it seem to be addicted to cucumber the person i got it from fed it only cucumber i mixed lettuce and cucumber it picked the cucumber and ate thx

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello! Please, check the care sheet link I've posted above. There is a recommended diet.

Posting once again:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
recommend some foods pls and it seem to be addicted to cucumber the person i got it from fed it only cucumber i mixed lettuce and cucumber it picked the cucumber and ate thx
Then I would try to get juice only from the cucumber and put that on the better greens.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If you allow your tortoise to set the rules for you, it will not survive. You came to a great place for help, so please follow the advice of Wellington and Alex. It's very important! All the best.

lord hesho

losiiwciw
Then I would try to get juice only from the cucumber and put that on the better greens.
Update i implemented all suggested changes except for subsrate i gave it greens sprinkled with cucumber water it is not eating it more less sleep all day and night

Attachments

• 20231205_214658.jpg
    20231205_214658.jpg
    593.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20231205_214722.jpg
    20231205_214722.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of lighting and bulbs are you using?
What are you using to measure temps?
Get piedialyte for babies and put that daily in his soak water.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Update i implemented all suggested changes except for subsrate i gave it greens sprinkled with cucumber water it is not eating it more less sleep all day and night
Put the cucumber in a blender and mush it all up. Then add it to the greens and mix it all in so the greens are coated with cucumber mush.