Indian Star makes squeaking, whining sounds and no nasal discharge

MadhavV

Location (City and/or State)
Pune, India
Hello All, He is 20+ yrs old and moved to a colder city this year. Its getting cold now where Iive and I noticed this a couple of days ago. He is making these whistling and squeaking sounds, especially at night the other day every 15 mins or so. I gave him warm water dips yesterday and today. I missed letting him sun the last 3-4 days as I was out most of the daytime. He has no nasal discharge but has become lethargic. He sits under the lamp which I keep on early morning and late evenings for a while. He is eating, but I notice, not very enthusiastically. Does a heat pad help during winters? What should be the ideal temp for a heating pad? I kept him near (not next to) a humidifier last night because I sensed the air drying up too, the past 2 days. What else can be done? Is it the sudden onset of cold that can cause this?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello! I'm not an expert in tortoises and Stars, especially. Here is link to the care sheet about proper enclosure setup, humidity and temperatures: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-star-tortoise.159167/
And you can find another one by Tom in the forum section about Asian tortoises.

Lethargy and slowness could be attributed to stress because of change. But only if humidity, temperatures and enclosure layout are correct.

Heat mats are not recommended way to heat up a tortoise. You need to warm them from above, using CHE (ceramic heat emitter), for example. Ambient temperatures should be around 27-28C. And they need a basking spot with temperature closer to 33-34C. Please check the care sheets I mentioned for details.

To maintain proper humidity of 80% you need to cover the enclosure (I don't know which one you have, so just a basic advise here). You can use aluminium foil, plastic box or portable greenhouse top to make a cover. You should not use humidifier, when enclosure is covered pouring some water in the corners of the enclosure (to wet lower layers of the substrate) is enough. Please ensure correct temperatures first. Wet and could enclosure could result in respiratory infection.

Whistling noise might be the result of overly dry air.

Soaking for 20-30 minutes every day in a lukewarm (30-33C) water is a good routine, keep it going.

If you can post a photo of the enclosure and outline what heating/lightning sources you use, this would be very helpful.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Some respiratory infections do not result in a runny nose but still have the other symptoms as you are seeing. Also it may not be a full blown infection yet but will assuredly turn into one if temperatures are not corrected. Provide heat 24/7 so that the tortoise is kept at 85F or more until you’re sure he has recovered. If not improving noticeably in a couple days you may need antibiotics. Heat should be from overhead (a ceramic heat emitter bulb) not from a heat pad or heat mat.

MadhavV

Pune, India
I use a standard UVA+UVB halogen bulb that is available here in Pune. Ok I wont use a heat pad. I see what a ceramic bulb is and I will buy this now for use at nights. I dont keep him in an enclosure, he is free to move in the house and the terraces to sun himself. He goes and sits where warmest or later cooler (and darker) as per his will. I notice he is more lively and moving about today as compared to the last two days. What other solutions are used to maintain humidity apart from wetting the substrate which does not apply here? Can I keep a wet cloth around where he'd sleep at night with the ceramic bulb in action? That should work right?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use a standard UVA+UVB halogen bulb that is available here in Pune. Ok I wont use a heat pad. I see what a ceramic bulb is and I will buy this now for use at nights. I dont keep him in an enclosure, he is free to move in the house and the terraces to sun himself. He goes and sits where warmest or later cooler (and darker) as per his will. I notice he is more lively and moving about today as compared to the last two days. What other solutions are used to maintain humidity apart from wetting the substrate which does not apply here? Can I keep a wet cloth around where he'd sleep at night with the ceramic bulb in action? That should work right?
Halogen should not be used either
A heat pad is okay for adults, as long as there is a heat lamp above it and they both run on a thermostat. .raise the heat as mentioned to 85 day and night along with the basking area and leave for at least a week after all symptoms are gone. If they get worse and not better, seek a good tortoise experienced vet.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
How long have you had this tortoise living like a pet dog or cat in your house without its own enclosure? Any advice you get here will be based on your immediately changing your tortoise's enclosure from the floor in your house to his own enclosure setup with the correct conditions, within your home.

MadhavV

Pune, India
I had made him an enclosure he does not like living in a cage or even in the water dip tub beyond 15 mins for that matter. He will keep clawing at it trying to get out. He will even do that when the terrace doors are shut and he wants to get out. He will keep doing it for hours. I dont like to restrict movement is all I can say in short. I love him and I know he does not have his own abode but hes been brought up like that and any change now does not suit him. I dont want to drive him mad, clawing at the cage. That will become a mental condition is what I fear and its very much possible. He has been living in a house for 25 years much of it with dogs, sleeping alongside them sometimes. I think thats enough justification. Helping me beyond this is your choice, I have plenty of resources and a scholarly mind. Thanks for all the above advice. I will try to prepare his bedding for the winters here in a better way as per the tips given. More are welcome. All pets adapt, very few pets in the world have the most optimum conditions to live in.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Nothing more to be said. Good luck to you and your tortoise who has suffered for 25 years living with your cats and dogs on the floor of your house. Those who already believe they know best need not ask questions. @Tom @wellington @zovick

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had made him an enclosure he does not like living in a cage or even in the water dip tub beyond 15 mins for that matter. He will keep clawing at it trying to get out. He will even do that when the terrace doors are shut and he wants to get out. He will keep doing it for hours. I dont like to restrict movement is all I can say in short. I love him and I know he does not have his own abode but hes been brought up like that and any change now does not suit him. I dont want to drive him mad, clawing at the cage. That will become a mental condition is what I fear and its very much possible. He has been living in a house for 25 years much of it with dogs, sleeping alongside them sometimes. I think thats enough justification. Helping me beyond this is your choice, I have plenty of resources and a scholarly mind. Thanks for all the above advice. I will try to prepare his bedding for the winters here in a better way as per the tips given. More are welcome. All pets adapt, very few pets in the world have the most optimum conditions to live in.
Your tortoise is suffering the consequences of your ignorance and stubbornness. He will continue to suffer and soon you won't have a tortoise to worry about.

If you want this tortoise to continue to live you need to house and heat it correctly. Reptiles do not and cannot "adapt" to parameters that are outside what they need to survive. This is not like a dog that will simply burn more calories to generate more heat when it gets colder.

Living on the floor is not safe and cannot be made safe. There are dozens of things that can kill or harm your tortoise down there and we see it here all the time. Its also too cold on the floor. This tortoise needs a properly heated and lit large enclosure, and housing it correctly will not give it any sort of "mental condition".

Here is the correct care information. If you continue to ignore it, thinking you somehow know better than all of us, your tortoise will continue to decline and eventually die. We don't want that, and I'm pretty sure you don't either, or you wouldn't be here asking for help. Please accept the help that is being offered. Your tortoise cannot survive what you are doing right now.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow! If you take the time to read through some previous posts about all that you are doing wrong, you might actually learn something that will improve the life of your tortoise, and it would have a chance to live it's life span. Being so closed minded, when it's your responsibility to do right by any animal you take in, well, just wow!
What has been learned since this poor tortoise was hatched is all different and better for them.
Clawing at a cage, means the cage is likely too small, too cold or too hot! Wanting to get out of a soak, is a good thing. It gets them moving, building muscle, strength and gets things inside moving correctly.
Open your mind and be willing to admit, at least to yourself, that you don't know anything that is correct for your tortoise and that you will take the time to learn and do better for him. Otherwise, it's just neglect!!!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hope you'll take this in the right spirit and do what has been advised! All for good!