Incubation question

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
I am expecting eggs in the next couple months and wanted to get my new hovabator set up. I wanted to put it in my office but that would mean the eggs would have to sit without incubation over night until I can take them to work the next day. I'm wondering if they'll be ok sitting at room temp for 12 hours or so. If not should I put their container on a heating pad that is hooked up to a thermostat? I appreciate the help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It will be quite ok to leave them overnight without heat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Agreed. Room temp over night won't hurt a thing.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I don't know about Florida but in AZ a lot of people use a med. flower pot filled almost to the top with soil for the eggs and leave it outside night time temps are in the 80's and the eggs hatch and the soul is 2-3 inches from the top so the baby' s cannt get out . Just a idea . Good luck with the eggs .

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Flower pot is a neat idea but I wouldn't expect them to hatch unil about December so night time temps could be a bit low.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Flower pot is a neat idea but I wouldn't expect them to hatch unil about December so night time temps could be a bit low.
Don't forget a plastic pot will cool off faster but a clay pot will hold the heat longer .
A plastic pot will hold water better a clay pot will loose water faster .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

December? Most species hatch in around 3 months. I've never hatched red foot eggs. Can someone who has tell us what the normal time frame is?

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
I just introduced a male last week. They started breeding immediately. My understanding is that it will take at least 2 months for them to lay and then about 4 months of incubation.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
It could take 2 months from copulation to years time. I've had adult females in with my males for years and they still haven't produced lol!
Make sure she has a proper nesting sight and keep watch for pre-nesting behavior...restlessness, test holes, long soaks in her soaking bin (if she has one), battling with other torts, up past her bedtime, pacing, off her food or being extra picky etc...
Hope you get some eggs!:)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Set that incubator up now. Some of those are really touchy and you'll have to tweak and re tweak it until it will remain steady.
Once it's stable, you can just unplug it and wait until it's needed.
I'm also expecting eggs. My RF have been very active and my biggest, best female has been digging around the yard.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
What would constitute a proper nesting site? Just an area for her to dig? They have my entire backyard (which isn't huge for a backyard but it's big for an enclosure). I would expect her to lay. A couple years ago she mated with a very small male and she laid but the eggs were no good. This male is pretty big and has some experience. I have two females but have only seen one of the females breed. Hopefully between the two I get something.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
An area with loose soil that is moist is the place that mine has been digging.. It is in a very big half of an urn or giant flower pot laying on its side.
Sometimes they'll bury them and trample over the area and it wont be evident. Other times they'll be visible. I give them areas that are already good to lay in and it helps with the searching.