Increasing humidity in the air for redfoots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Connie

5 Year Member
I have a redfoot and I increased the humidity in the air by buying at Bed Bath and Beyond these little personal humidifiers for 20 bucks each.They are a bit larger than a baseball and round so if it knocked over no big deal, but I velcro it to the wall. It sprays a VERY VERY fine cool mist in the air.The unit is cool to the touch also. I put one on the basking side (aim it toward the greens to keep them from wilting and one on the cool side facing her "pool" (I put a heating pad under her "Pool" so she soaks in temid water, otherwise the water is COLD. She seems to enjoy these little amenities... All she needs now is a Margarita!!
The only bad thing about these little humidifiers is that when they run out out water it doesn't turn off automatically. You need a timer. It runs 4 hours or so before running dry. I plan on running it on and off with a timer to stretch the time before it runs dry...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
That sounds like a great deal... but I personally am not a big fan of mist-type humidifiers in most indoor habitats because they tend to cool the air off, sometime rather drastically.

There are several ways to increase humidity without misters if you want to look at other options.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They also have small ones at bed bath beyond that is a warm mist. I have one. However not 20.00. More like 40.00. If you put them in the enclosure, I find they stop working in a very short time. So I was able to use PVC pipe and pipe it in. Mine will turn off when water is gone, last about 6-8 hours or so.

Connie

5 Year Member
Well these are smaller thus less expensive. I saw the bigger ones , but I opted for this. I have 2 small ones in her enclosure. They are a bit larger than a baseball so you can reposition them easily or hide them behind a plant. Ruby can walk out of the path of these misters if she so desires, or stay under them. She has the heat(basking) lamp if she wants to get very warm and her "Pool" where she soaks in tempid water with the mist(Most people don't heat their tortoises water from what I read so far. It's COLD water in my opinion.... besides,where I live they shoot up the heat --last night it was 88 degress in my apt. I do not have to worry about Ruby getting cold, not in my apt!!!
From what I read the temperature should range from 70 (with the cool mist) to 90 during the day. She has that choice during the day, and 65- 70 during the night.(It will never gets that cool in my apt.) She has a choice as to what she wants..I have thermometers and hygrometers (Exoterra round disks)all around her enclosure scattered on the ground.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just be sure she is never wet and cold at the same time. Wet, damp and cold makes for a sick tort. :D

Connie

5 Year Member
If the floor gets to damp or wet I just take a paper towel and gently blot (press) it out of the cage carpet and it is dry again... I am VERY cautious with her underbelly after her rot ( i got her that way)....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes I do remember your post about her problem. How is she doing anyway? Still looking good I hope.:D

Connie said:
If the floor gets to damp or wet I just take a paper towel and gently blot (press) it out of the cage carpet and it is dry again... I am VERY cautious with her underbelly after her rot ( i got her that way)....

Connie

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Yes I do remember your post about her problem. How is she doing anyway? Still looking good I hope.:D

She is doing fine!! Thank you for asking...She just has to heal. There are some thin areas on her underbelly , but it will thicken hopefully in time...She is just such a sweet thing!!!

Madkins007 said:
That sounds like a great deal... but I personally am not a big fan of mist-type humidifiers in most indoor habitats because they tend to cool the air off, sometime rather drastically.

There are several ways to increase humidity without misters if you want to look at other options.

Well because of the bad rot she had on her underbelly, I want to keep the substrate pretty dry while increasing the humidity. For me , a humidifer I think is the way to go , and with the cage carpet, if it gets to wet , I just blot it dry with a paper towel...

Connie

5 Year Member
Connie said:
wellington said:

She is doing fine!! Thank you for asking...She just has to heal. There are some thin areas on her underbelly , but it will thicken hopefully in time...She is just such a sweet thing!!!

Madkins007 said:

Well because of the bad rot she had on her underbelly, I want to keep the substrate pretty dry while increasing the humidity. For me , a humidifer I think is the way to go , and with the cage carpet, if it gets to wet , I just blot it dry with a paper towel...

Connie

5 Year Member
Here are picture of Ruby's habitat and humidifiers(white round balls) Also of her basking with her legs outstreched like a Red ear.( I read somewhere on this forum tortoises don't really do that , but my Ruby does) and the last picture is of the whole habitat. The "Cool" side of her habiatat is where he "pool" is. With the heat pad under it you also get the benefit of increasing the humidity just like someone said they do under the basking light. I just prefer to keep the pool on the cool side of the habitat... She seems to be happy and knows her way around....

Attachments

• 100_1759.jpg
    100_1759.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_1760.jpg
    100_1760.jpg
    716.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_1754.jpg
    100_1754.jpg
    630.5 KB · Views: 19
Status
Not open for further replies.